Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

PCB problems and fixes
Post Reply
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with my RFJ cart. I plugged it into the SPI board and got Checksum Error 9921.
The SPI board had Viper Phase 1 in before, which still runs fine.

When I checked the Wiki I found the jumper issue for changing carts, but that didn´t help either. The main board is the V 2.0 PCB.
The jumper change does not trigger anything - no boot up mode or whatsoever.

As far as I see both carts are japanese.

Help would be really appreciated.

Here the pics:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Spork
Please Continue...
Posts: 22
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Location:

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Spork »

The first thing I'd do on a checksum error is dump all the socketed roms with an eprom programmer and compare the CRC32s against the mame set(s). If you don't yet have a programmer I guess you could remove and reseat all the roms in case a leg isn't making a connection and that is causing the error.
User avatar
thomj
Just a few screws loose
Posts: 1738
Joined: June 13th, 2010, 12:05 am
Location: East Yorkshire
Initials: TWJ

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by thomj »

It's most likely a region code incompatibility i.e them not both being JP region. Plenty of info here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34314
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

If you have an eprom burner, I can guide you how to make the cart accept all regions. 8-)
User avatar
DaveyD
Posts: 300
Joined: December 9th, 2014, 7:14 am
Location: Grimsby, UK
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by DaveyD »

Taken from here: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=9246

The Seibu SPI system is cartridge-based with all game data on the daughterboards, so a game can easily be switched in except for Raiden Fighters Jet, which uses a modified version of the SPI motherboard. To switch a game, simply swap the daughterboard.
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

Spork wrote:The first thing I'd do on a checksum error is dump all the socketed roms with an eprom programmer and compare the CRC32s against the mame set(s). If you don't yet have a programmer I guess you could remove and reseat all the roms in case a leg isn't making a connection and that is causing the error.
Thank you. I checked all Eproms and pushed them back in. Everything seems ok. I don´t have a burner sadly.
thomj wrote:It's most likely a region code incompatibility i.e them not both being JP region. Plenty of info here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34314
Thanks, both seem Japanese. But I will try anyway.
Pythagoras wrote:If you have an eprom burner, I can guide you how to make the cart accept all regions. 8-)
Great, I don´t have a burner, but could ask a friend. Would you please tell me how to proceed?
DaveyD wrote:Taken from here: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=9246

The Seibu SPI system is cartridge-based with all game data on the daughterboards, so a game can easily be switched in except for Raiden Fighters Jet, which uses a modified version of the SPI motherboard. To switch a game, simply swap the daughterboard.
I see that for the first time. Can anybody here confirm that RFJ needs a modified SPI board? Some people seem to have switched carts with a Viper mobo.

Thank you everybody!
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

Post subject: Re: SPI SXX2D RAIDEN FIGHTERS JET
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Ed Oscuro

No, you don't need a particular version motherboard to run Jet. There have been lots of SPI rumors, like that Jet ran the CPU at a faster clock speed (for some reason Ghegs' RF Emporium page claims this, it's not true). This is another bad rumor. Jet was a later release so you often find it with the late revision motherboard - that's probably all there is to it.

I don't know why Seibu made the first motherboard revision or what changed. The next and final revision - the small version motherboard - was likely done for cost-cutting reasons, just like Raiden Fighters 2000 and the OKI system variants. The small version motherboard seems to have pretty bad video quality compared to the original so I'd avoid it.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57024
This can also be comfirmed in the mame driver. "SXX2D: This is a smaller (and perhaps cheaper) version of the SXX2C hardware."

There are no significant changes between the revisions, clock speed, memory etc is all the same...
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

Moonwalker wrote:Great, I don´t have a burner, but could ask a friend. Would you please tell me how to proceed?
For the Japanese revision of Raiden Fighters Jet:

Fist dump the eprom labled "PRG 2",
then load the file into a a hex editor and change the byte at offset $313A2. From "01" to "03".
and reburn the eprom.

The modificaton will now let your cartridge accept all motherboard regions.
So after this modification the the game should proceed with the flashing process as expected.
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

Great, thank you very much Pythagoras! :)
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

You are welcome, don't forget to keep us updated with the progress.
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

I will :)
Looking for somebody to burn it right now.
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

Pythagoras wrote:
Moonwalker wrote:Great, I don´t have a burner, but could ask a friend. Would you please tell me how to proceed?
For the Japanese revision of Raiden Fighters Jet:

Fist dump the eprom labled "PRG 2",
then load the file into a a hex editor and change the byte at offset $313A2. From "01" to "03".
and reburn the eprom.

The modificaton will now let your cartridge accept all motherboard regions.
So after this modification the the game should proceed with the flashing process as expected.
So I have an update. A friend of mine, who wants to burn the Eproms for me told me the following:

As it seems in the Mame resources my board uses the prg2.u0221 ROM and not the prg2.bin ROM.
The prg2.u0221 ROM does not have the patch on the address.

Ideas anybody?
Thanks!
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

Moonwalker wrote:So I have an update. A friend of mine, who wants to burn the Eproms for me told me the following:

As it seems in the Mame resources my board uses the prg2.u0221 ROM and not the prg2.bin ROM.
The prg2.u0221 ROM does not have the patch on the address.

Ideas anybody?
Thanks!
Have been away during Christmas and New Year so my reply comes a bit late...

For the prg2.u0221 with the CRC(82f7a57e). You have to change the byte at offset $31581. From "01" to "03", to make it accept all regions.
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

Great, thanks a lot! :)
User avatar
Moonwalker
Posts: 192
Joined: October 7th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Moonwalker »

It works!! THANX a lot!
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

Nice to hear that. :)
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

BTW: I'm little bit curious about the region of your cart, since it uses the "prg2.u0221". Was it a Japanese one? The previously known Raiden Fighthers in Mame that uses that rom are U.S, Germany and Taiwan...
Layer
Posts: 162
Joined: March 6th, 2013, 5:38 pm
Location: France

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Layer »

Interesting.

Do you mean "03" is the universal region code in a cart to unlock the compatibility with all the mobos from all the regions ?
User avatar
Nebula
Posts: 33
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Location: Barcelona, Spain
eBay: sergiopolog0

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Nebula »

Pythagoras wrote:
Have been away during Christmas and New Year so my reply comes a bit late...

For the prg2.u0221 with the CRC(82f7a57e). You have to change the byte at offset $31581. From "01" to "03", to make it accept all regions.
I'm curious, too. It seems that the hexadecimal change is about skiping the checksum test, instead of "03" as an "universal region code". Could you provide more info about this? and what is the correct address to make that change for other games ;)
Pythagoras
Posts: 23
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Raiden Fighters JET Checksum Error 9921

Post by Pythagoras »

sergiopolog wrote:
I'm curious, too. It seems that the hexadecimal change is about skiping the checksum test, instead of "03" as an "universal region code". Could you provide more info about this? and what is the correct address to make that change for other games ;)
Sorry for the delay. I have been on a vacation during the winter and spring...

By change the byte "01" to "03" you tells the "error check routine" to return an "OK". instead of an "region error". There are 4 different return codes that can be returned by the test routine.

$01: Error 9921 (Region Error)
$02: Error 81 (Flash Write Error)
$03: Ok
$FF: Error 82 (Unknown Error)

The addresses for other games will be depending of the game but also by the region and revision. I can make a list of the addresses for the other SPI games/revisions but it will take some time since there are quite many roms to check.
Post Reply