I'm currently playing:

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: I'm currently playing:

Post by geotrig » July 23rd, 2018, 8:53 am

:think: I 've never played a sf ex game ,never came across them in any arcade or shop for that matter , might try and pick up a ps version at some point. and finally give it a go.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » July 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am

pubjoe wrote:
cools wrote:Thimbleweed Park on Switch, and Mole Mania on GameBoy
How are you finding Thimbleweed Park? I’d forgotten about that. And I’d forgotten about Mole Mania too. I’ve completed the first 4 levels iirc. They’re a nice length to do one per session.
Thimbleweed Park is great. The writing is some of Ron Gilbert's best. I've not completed it yet - I think I'm on the last/last but one chapter - and I've whittled away about 14 hours. Some evenings I've even stayed up way past my bedtime playing it.

A couple of the puzzles very early on I found too tough. It's clear the screen sizes offered by modern RAM/load times allow a lot of sprawl that wouldn't have been feasible in the past, making observational puzzles more difficult than they should be - lots of area to search combined with a large list of unrelated puzzles that also need solving... The Switch in handheld makes any tiny object searches more luck than judgement too.

However - there's an in-game hint system that's so well done it'd be a shame if there were no reasons to use it!

(There's an option called "Toilet Paper Over" I've been wondering about until now - quick search reveals this, should say a lot.)

Mole Mania - working my way through map 4. I'll pick it up, do a screen and put it back down. Screen by screen autosaving in a GameBoy game? Brilliant. It's about as flawless a game as I can think of.

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe » July 23rd, 2018, 10:02 am

geotrig wrote::think: I 've never played a sf ex game ,never came across them in any arcade or shop for that matter , might try and pick up a ps version at some point. and finally give it a go.
I never saw it in an arcade and I’d likely have ignored it if a friend didn’t buy the PlayStation version. Tbh the first impressions were a bit tricky to get over and I didn’t like it quite as much as the Alpha games that were the alternative at the time.

But it ended up mt8 entertainment for hundreds and hundreds of hours. It was a really popular game for mixed abilities, and was the first and only Streetfighter game some friends could play well. That element wasn’t a fluke and it’s occurred again now. A friend who I’d normally win against on any other version of SF is an absolute beast with SFEX Zangief. But it doesn’t feel like unfair balancing. Other than combo damage scaling I don’t think the game does any trickery like that. He’s just managed to get really good with Zags.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » July 23rd, 2018, 10:12 am

pubjoe wrote:Cab’s been getting a lot of play lately by some friends. We keep returning to the Street Fighter EX games. They’re **** great.
Is the emulation any good now? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... ter+ex+pcb

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 23rd, 2018, 10:20 am

:lol:
cools wrote:Mole Mania - working my way through map 4. I'll pick it up, do a screen and put it back down. Screen by screen autosaving in a GameBoy game? Brilliant. It's about as flawless a game as I can think of.
It is fantastic. And yeah, that’s a good point about the saving. The difficulty ramp has been great which can make or break a puzzle game like this.
cools wrote:
pubjoe wrote:Cab’s been getting a lot of play lately by some friends. We keep returning to the Street Fighter EX games. They’re **** great.
Is the emulation any good now? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... ter+ex+pcb
Seems fine to me. Years ago I used to use Zinc to emulate it but today Mame seems spot on... other than a very occasional graphics glitch on the character select that corrected itself by the next screen transition. But this might have been due to the PC running inside a cab all through a sunny day.
Last edited by cools on July 23rd, 2018, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?
eBay: ~~~

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » July 23rd, 2018, 10:21 am

I may have a lead on a SFEX daughter board. Not sure if it can be upgraded to Plus, though...

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 23rd, 2018, 10:28 am

Cools, you just edited my post at the same time as me.

Opposing speechmarks breaking the quote? **** phone keyboards. :problem:

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » July 23rd, 2018, 10:52 am

pubjoe wrote:Cools, you just edited my post at the same time as me.

Opposing speechmarks breaking the quote? **** iPhone keyboards. :problem:
FTFY

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 23rd, 2018, 10:56 am

;roll;

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » July 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Which EX game do you prefer, pubisyacob?

I prefer EX Plus (and Plus Alpha), but it seems the scene plays EX 2 Plus.

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 24th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Not sure. Probably EX 2 Plus, although I prefer the angular polygonal look of EX Plus. Imo it’s aged better than the sequel’s gorad shading.

CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN » July 24th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
Is the Japanese version better in the speed department?

markedkiller78
Gods first iteration
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » July 24th, 2018, 6:48 pm

I’ve been playing enter the gungeon a lot. I’m actually gettting better (still ****) it’s £2 or summit on the switch, absolute bargain

FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB » July 24th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Great isn't it. Gets hard as nails but so much fun. I'm not normally a fan of random/procedurally generated games but it really works for this game. Some of the weapons are > :lol: < There's loads of secrets/paths etc too. I've not played it for ages (have it on PC) but I think I got to about the fifth floor, I think most of that was luck though :awe: The weapons you pick up early on have a massive impact on the success of your run. Dodge roll ftw.

I've been downloading some other Switch games. There's loads of Psikyo stuff on there now, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945+, Gunbird, Zerogunner 2, Dragon Blaze, Gunbarich..... There's tate mode on the vert games too!

Really enjoyed Axiom Verge. Need to nail (what I think is) the final boass and then go back through it to 100%. Played Yoku's Island Express (Ori meets pinball, almost) on holiday which was fun but it was a bit hard to know where/what you were meant to be doing at times.

Has anyone got a Switch fightstick? Thinking of picking one up for some casual sofa gayming.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » July 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm

CTN wrote:I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
I can't remember anything about the PAL version, but I have the JP version on PS1 and it plays like a dream.

markedkiller78
Gods first iteration
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » July 24th, 2018, 8:40 pm

@Franco, the 5th is the final floor, keep going!

I’m determined to finish it. I think the latest update has made it easier, in that there are many more chests when I play now.

zak
eBay: NA

Post by zak » July 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm

FrancoB wrote:
I've been downloading some other Switch games. There's loads of Psikyo stuff on there now, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945+, Gunbird, Zerogunner 2, Dragon Blaze, Gunbarich..... There's tate mode on the vert games too!
I heard that the Psikyo stuff is going to be released physically as a collection soon.

CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN » July 24th, 2018, 10:51 pm

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:plays like a dream.

:think:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 24th, 2018, 11:17 pm

CTN wrote:I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
Might be, can’t remember. I played the PAL version bitd.

EX is a slower paced game in general. Iirc some of the Arika team were original developers of SF2 who were unhappy with the series going turbo and preferred the slower and more tactical style.

bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto » July 25th, 2018, 8:32 am

I remember getting ex+alpha on the PS1 and playing the heck out of it.

It was a great game to get into, I think the timing for chaining combos was very generous, as was the detections for the likes of the spinning pile driver. I pretty much completed almost all of the training challenges, save as to perhaps the ones involving the 2x 360 motions.

I never had anyone to play against unfortunately, even when I found the game in an arcade in London.

For some strange reason I never got EX2 at the time, it's like I completely forgot about the series till EX3, when I got that at PS2 Jpn launch. Think I played that a bit, but not as much as I had the first game.

Never touched it again till much later years and I'm really not that keen on the looks of it now, but the music however is absolutely timeless and probably one of the best fighting soundtracks. Even now I'll put the OST on every once in a while.

I keep meaning to put some time into EX2, but never get round to it.
- -
Looking to get a replacement foot panel for my Minicute.
If anyone sees one, let me know!
- -