Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcement?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
Initials: DAB

Re: Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcem

Post by cRacKh0rN » June 11th, 2013, 12:29 pm

I'm genuinely pleased that a lot of you feel the same way about the large franchises such as COD and Battlefield.
I was starting to think my disdain for them was due to my age :) Let's hope that we get some great indie titles on Sony's new box.

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » June 11th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Nintendo well, Shigeru Miyamoto, made an incredible number of AAA+ characters & titles, Halo (based on the popularity of the franchise) is the only thing that's come close in the last 10 years to a AAA+ character.

Sony have never managed to come close.

I think that Sony are ahead this time around and that PS+ was a game changer for them add to that, they are saying all the right things (which is easy, wait to see what idiocy the MS court come out with & go in the opposite direction). PS4 is cheaper & there are more positives, but FFS there are no interesting games yet.

Both Sony & MS wan't more than a video game share of your money. I have no issue with that per say, but I've never been a fan of their ludicrous DL content pricing.

Retail game £20, DL £30 :palm:

skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah » June 11th, 2013, 12:49 pm

cRacKh0rN wrote:I'm genuinely pleased that a lot of you feel the same way about the large franchises such as COD and Battlefield.
I was starting to think my disdain for them was due to my age :) Let's hope that we get some great indie titles on Sony's new box.
You are not alone! Sick of innovation killing games like COD. Just like how I hold WOW and Sims partially responsible for killin PC gaming.
Loving robots since the 80's.

fagin

Post by fagin » June 11th, 2013, 12:51 pm

TBH though I suspect we all realise that technology advances are only part of the end game. I can still pick up a current crop 360 or PS3 game and think "it looks very nice" and then pick up a current crop PC game, utilising a 30" 2.5k resolution, powered by an i7 CPU, gigs of RAM and xfire HD7970 GFX cards. Sure it looks better than the console equivalent, but it hardly makes me cream my pants..... although I've personally started to move back (more so than previous) to PC gaming.

I think we've reached a plateaux on what benefits tech can give us... it always been about the games though, rather than the hardware in reality.

It's quite interesting that MS put quite a bit of effort into standing by the current 360 moving forward, so it does beg the question, what's the point in the next gen at the moment.

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe » June 11th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Exactly. Better graphics aren't a killer feature anymore.

Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar » June 11th, 2013, 1:11 pm

pubjoe wrote: "Hardcore gamer" is meaningless nonsense. What does it mean? You've played all the COD and GTA games to death? That's why I'm interested in what Sony actually intends to change because statements like "do more for the hardcore gamer" just sound like marketing drivel.
not shoving the wand or kinect down peoples throats is one thing that relates to 'the hardcore gamer'

honestly never been a big fan of sony and if I had to say pick a side I would of been xbox since I have always had one. But the Xbone is just retarded. I use joypad and sticks I dont want anything to do with wavey hand at all.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » June 11th, 2013, 1:23 pm

pubjoe wrote:Exactly. Better graphics aren't a killer feature anymore.
Although I would be lying if I didn't admit to getting a bit of a horn on for the tree and leaf detail on the Battlefield trailer :D

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » June 11th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Yeah, but the difference between current gen console and top end PC graphics is much more subtle than it has been at previous dawns of new consoles.
Lordstar wrote:
pubjoe wrote: "Hardcore gamer" is meaningless nonsense. What does it mean? You've played all the COD and GTA games to death? That's why I'm interested in what Sony actually intends to change because statements like "do more for the hardcore gamer" just sound like marketing drivel.
not shoving the wand or kinect down peoples throats is one thing that relates to 'the hardcore gamer'

honestly never been a big fan of sony and if I had to say pick a side I would of been xbox since I have always had one. But the Xbone is just retarded. I use joypad and sticks I dont want anything to do with wavey hand at all.
See that's where I see it differently. To me playing games is all about gimmicks. Be that new types of gameplay or new control schemes. Example 1, games like Fez are great due to a gameplay gimmick but with classic controls. Example 2, I actually am excited about the Oculus Rift. Now that's a killer feature (that could demand a high price) if they based a console around it.

I haven't actually used Kinnect (I tried in Tesco and it was a bit glitchy), but if someone has a good laugh with it, it's just as valid as a "pro" controller.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » June 11th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I have a Kinect. The Dance games can be a good laugh but it doesn't lend itself to accurate, high speed gameplay at all.

CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 » June 11th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Lordstar wrote:not shoving the wand down peoples throats - 'the hardcore gamer'
:hinthint: :fastlove:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » June 11th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Yeah, responsiveness is essential for anything to be satisfying.

Jan
Enemy of the state of Spain
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan » June 11th, 2013, 2:04 pm

no idea why People still glorify Nintendo so much. don`t get me wrong , they would make a great 3rd Party , but they are certainly not the videogame messiah.

ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn » June 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm

sure they are.
more than sony or microsoft.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!

Jan

Post by Jan » June 11th, 2013, 2:14 pm

no , they suck.
more than sony or Microsoft.

:palm:

Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre » June 11th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there. As others have said, everyone else appears driven purely by the quickest route to the most wallets with reskinned versions of 10 year old ideas. Nintendo actually try to do new stuff.

Loving the Sony strategy. Pounce on Microsoft arrogance, do the opposite, take undeserved credit. :lol:

Can't see this all-in-one media/gaming/entertainment box idea taking off btw, looks like Microsoft are headed up a blind alley. People want a console to play games on, using a controller. They don't want all this other crud, plus kinect/wii/move is largely a niche for kids and party games.

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » June 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Neo_Arcadia wrote:no idea why People still glorify Nintendo so much.
Come on, it's not like there's many of us left still hanging on.

Jan

Post by Jan » June 11th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there
think so ?

Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.

and don`t getme started on the hardware and all the updates...
Last edited by Jan on June 11th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn » June 11th, 2013, 2:38 pm

still remembering last christmas, or so, when kinect came out.

I knew so many person wo wanted to play that.
They invited friends to play those sucky "kneel now to duck"-package-in-game.

I can not remember someone actually playing a kinect game within the last 1 1/2 years.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!

Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre » June 11th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Neo_Arcadia wrote:Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.
Everyone recycles their IPs, the characters and themes are established and popular. It's the gameplay and the way the games are designed which counts, imho Nintendo tries to innovate in this area far more than their contemparies.

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » June 11th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Neo_Arcadia wrote:
Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there
think so ?

Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.

and don`t getme started on the hardware and all the updates...
Getting millage out beloved characters. It's a fine line I know, but they actually have memorable characters. Jack & Daxter :problem: Sly Raccoon :problem: Drake :palm:

I guess I have now fallen into the nintendo fanboy camp, in that I'm bored of MS & Sony and still somehow find occasional enjoyment from Nintendo products. I still prefer to play modern games, when the urge strikes, on PC. I can't stop banging on about this, but based on convenience & price of games, they could both learn a thing or 2 from steam.