Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcement?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or Universe

Re: Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcem

Post by SuperPang » December 4th, 2014, 1:23 pm

MK8 is 10x more fun than anything on PS4 or Xbone. QED.

cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN » December 4th, 2014, 1:24 pm

pubjoe wrote:To be fair I didn't criticise blockbuster Playstation games (that much). I just pointed out there's a large difference in what they are. It's not even worth comparing. There's nothing wrong with jogging around in an interactive movie. I can rarely be arsed.
I am not a fan of the interactive movie direction that games have gone in either.
If Assassins Creed required pixel perfect jumps and precise timing, I would probably be all over it but let's face it. A kid of six could probably complete it.
There are exceptions though. The Last Of Us has a great story line and can be quite tricky in places. GTAV is also packed with humour and you actually care about the characters because it is well crafted.

To be fair though, I am probably enjoying Geometry Wars 3 - Dimensions more than most the other games on the system right now :awe:

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » December 4th, 2014, 2:46 pm

A year on and no games for either of the "next gen". I might buy bayoneta 2 when it hits £20, but will I play it?

arcade is dead, console gaming is dying, maybe we should go outside and do something real next.

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » December 4th, 2014, 2:59 pm

The future is all about coc.

Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito » December 4th, 2014, 3:08 pm

You hit the 'interactive movie' description on the head. Playing games like Assasin's Creed feel like a job to me personally, I literally can't play them without my mind wandering and feeling sleepy, I'd rather not play anything if that was the only choice. I like to play games to get my blood pumping and get my brain into gear, games to me are like puzzles to be solved and thinking of creative ways not to die and that require precise timing and execution to succeed. Passively playing a game and going through the motions and pressing a button now and again with minimal penalty for sloppy play isn't very fun to me. Saying that, millions of people seem to love them so maybe I'm just hard to please. I'm starting to think I don't really like videogames as a whole anymore but just a very small section of it.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN » December 4th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Ex_Mosquito wrote:You hit the 'interactive movie' description on the head. Playing games like Assasin's Creed feel like a job to me personally, I literally can't play them without my mind wandering and feeling sleepy, I'd rather not play anything if that was the only choice. I like to play games to get my blood pumping and get my brain into gear, games to me are like puzzles to be solved and thinking of creative ways not to die and that require precise timing and execution to succeed. Passively playing a game and going through the motions and pressing a button now and again with minimal penalty for sloppy play isn't very fun to me. Saying that, millions of people seem to love them so maybe I'm just hard to please. I'm starting to think I don't really like videogames as a whole anymore but just a very small section of it.
this ^^

Some great indie titles about but you can play most of them adequately on 360 and PS3.
Pix the Cat, Hotline Miami, Thomas was Alone, Velocity 2x. All good! :)

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe » December 4th, 2014, 4:58 pm

I've had a lot of practice talking about the interactive movie thing ( :roll: ). In fact I found myself going on about it to that annoying film crew when queueing for Play Expo last year. My son wanted to be interviewed and afterwards they pointed the camera at me. :problem: They were looking to capture the buzz and excitement of the crowd and I could see the interviewer's face drop as he realised he's wasting his time with a moany old ****. :palm:

I'm slightly tempted to get The Last of Us, I'm not expecting to be bowled over by the gameplay but there's no reason why I shouldn't enjoy the visual and story elements if they're that good. It doesn't fill me with excitement though.
Ex_Mosquito wrote:I'm starting to think I don't really like videogames as a whole anymore but just a very small section of it.
I'm just the same. It's like football now where I just say I'm not really into them. Or I might say "kind of, but only old games". Which feels a weird situation for people like us who **** love games and own an arcade machine to play them properly. :(

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » December 4th, 2014, 5:12 pm

cRacKh0rN wrote:If Assassins Creed required pixel perfect jumps and precise timing, I would probably be all over it but let's face it. A kid of six could probably complete it.
Yeah the lack of skill and lack of death penalty pretty much kills the game element in one swoop. **** creed is a movie first, game second. I prefer the other way round - if it's not fun, scrap it.

Another thing that annoys me is player personality. I like the player's character to be pretty much blank. It's far more immersive if he responds ONLY to what I'm doing. 'Cool' characters just **** me off. Duke Nukem :palm: ...Farcry. :palm: ...Sunset Overdrive. :palm: :palm: :palm:

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » December 4th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Rossyra wrote:The future is all about coc.

CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN » December 4th, 2014, 5:31 pm

^this
I have to 100% agree, I feel so alienated by todays games that I can't call myself a gamer by the current definition. But I've still managed to spent a 4 figure sum on all things video game this year. :oops:

I guess it comes down to knowing exactly what we want from a game (a compelling set of rules, elegance in execution, precision, a compelling quirk, but no unnecessary bloat) which are all qualities that are not highly regarded in the era of narrative games made by committee. :problem:

Thank god there are still a lot of Cave titles left I haven't had the chance to play :awe:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » December 4th, 2014, 5:51 pm

That's it. I'm perfectly happy only to catch up on the games on my to-do list. It'll take more than my lifetime anyway.

Designed by committee indeed. I remember watching a Half Life interview where they talked about play test trials. They axed anything that was causing people difficulty as it got in the way of the story.

CTN

Post by CTN » December 4th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Funny that you mention Half Life as it was one of the most boring games I ever forced myself to complete. I always waited for to "epic moment" to come but it was actually just tedious and soulless.

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » December 4th, 2014, 6:06 pm

pubjoe wrote:Designed by committee
It has worked occasionally. I really liked the first two NFS Underground games and EA made no secret of pandering to the masses with them.

CTN

Post by CTN » December 4th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Rossyra wrote:
pubjoe wrote:Designed by committee
It has worked occasionally. I really liked the first two NFS Underground games
:problem:

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » December 4th, 2014, 6:14 pm

What, you don't have any guilty pleasures at all? I am sorry to shatter your illusion of how cool I am :awe:

*Walks away all cool*

kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Post by kernow » December 4th, 2014, 6:57 pm

I play an hour of video games a month at most. Haven't played anything properly for years.
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » December 4th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Come and wave your coc about with us.

kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Post by kernow » December 4th, 2014, 7:03 pm

I thought about it but I'm not sure I'd dig it.
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » December 4th, 2014, 7:07 pm

All I can say about coc is ...

Don't knock it till you've tried it :hinthint:

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » December 4th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Coc has exponentialy increased my gaming hours.

I go longer, I play harder and I feel I have more in me. I needed coc to remind me of what was missing, that empty void that needed filled.