Blast City Repair Question

For monitor related issues
neofrank

Blast City Repair Question

Post by neofrank » September 8th, 2008, 11:04 pm

OK, so I am about to pull my hair out with this one, but thats half the fun of the hobby right?

I have a Blast City cab, monitor was working fine, until I had a jamma board hooked up one day and it just cut off, no big spectacle, just acted like I turned off the power, now I get two clicks like the protection circuit or something is cutting off power to the monitor right after it turns on. Anyways, I found someone to take a look at the chassis, but before I got shipping it to them, I wanted to see if I should check power levels anywhere to make sure it isnt an level issue.

That is as far as I have gotten, since this is an enclosed power supply, and the monitor has its own ACtoDC conv. I just didnt know where to look to meter it, or if its even necessary, since I KNOW the jamma harness and JVS power harnesses are all getting power (I can run jamma and JVS boards as long as I have video hooked up to an external source)

The last thing I noticed is on the back of the power supply it is suppose to have a button thats labeled circuit protection, and mine either doesnt have it or its been pushed inside the power supply, cause it has just and empty hole.

(BTW, the flyback isnt pouring goop, so I think thats fine and the chassis is a Nanao MS29-31A)

Thanks for any information on this issue.

grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Blast City Repair Question

Post by grantspain » September 8th, 2008, 11:59 pm

maybe the hot has shat out

Mellor
Initials: MEL

Post by Mellor » September 9th, 2008, 11:58 am

Has the fuse gone?

Does it squeal (HV) for a brief second?

neofrank

Post by neofrank » September 9th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Fuses on both the chassis Power Supply are good, and no squeal.

So basically with this information is it safe to say the chassis is most likely the problem? I would just hate to send out the chassis and it be something else I should have checked first.
Last edited by neofrank on September 9th, 2008, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » September 9th, 2008, 1:24 pm

you metered the horizontal output transistor from collector to heat sink then

neofrank

Post by neofrank » September 9th, 2008, 2:55 pm

grantspain wrote:you metered the horizontal output transistor from collector to heat sink then
Edited Last post, I mis-spoke/typed/didnt know what I was talking about.....so no I haven't metered this, and I do not really know how to/where to. I have a meter and have used it in testing continuity and power issues on my older woody style cabs, so it was real clear where I should be metering and what I should be getting.

But I have basically NO monitor experience, the generic monitor flow chart I have seen tells me to "check the regulated power supply (B+) at the output of hte voltage regulator" Which I assume is what you are talking about also, I just dont know what I need to be doing :oops:

So thats why I was just going to discharge the monitor (I have done this before, and I am comfortable with the risks, etc.) and just send it to a company that works on this stuff, but I wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting my time if it was power supply or other than monitor part related.

btw this is a pic of the chassis:
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll15 ... G_4008.jpg"

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » September 9th, 2008, 3:04 pm

yeah best to send for repair,you don´t want to make the problem worse

who will fix that for you in the states,i did not think anyone could fix those chassis stateside(except rick nieman)

the hot is the horizontal output transistor,its on the horizontal deflection circuit0it will be something like 2sc2455

neofrank

Post by neofrank » September 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info, I will just send it down and see what they say....it was really hard to find someone to work on this chassis for me, plus information (schematics, flow charts, etc) seems few and far between, the company was recommended by Ken Westerfield, they are All Good Technical Services....though when I talked to them apparently they dont love working on the monitors in sega machines in particular, but they will see what they can do, and wont charge me if they cant work on it/fix it :?

But I will keep the boards posted if it works out and maybe it will be another avenue for people, especially in the states to get monitors worked on.

Mellor
Initials: MEL

Post by Mellor » September 9th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Thats bloody good of them then, no charge if they can't do anything with it! I'd definitley go for that option!

NipRing

Post by NipRing » October 15th, 2008, 6:29 am

Any word yet? Did it get repaired?

neofrank

Post by neofrank » October 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I just talked to them and they are working on it, apparently it has "multiple issues", I will provide as much detail as possible when I hear back again.

I hate when new acquisitions have problems I cant trouble shoot, cause I am getting the fever to buy another cab, though this one hasnt really gotten any play. :awe:

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm

multiple issues read for can´t repair it,whats the bet you end up with a nice new betson or billabs

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 15th, 2008, 1:46 pm

grantspain wrote:multiple issues read for can´t repair it,whats the bet you end up with a nice new betson or billabs
True Grant but maybe they are doing a complete overhall or wanna get extra money for nothing ,That kinda covers them for everything . Oh forgot Good afternoon mt8 :awe:

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 15th, 2008, 4:03 pm

poolchamp wrote:
grantspain wrote:multiple issues read for can´t repair it,whats the bet you end up with a nice new betson or billabs
True Grant but maybe they are doing a complete overhall or wanna get extra money for nothing ,That kinda covers them for everything . Oh forgot Good afternoon mt8 :awe:
ay up Alan,glad to see you found the full stop and comma buttons on your keyboard at last
:awe:

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 15th, 2008, 4:20 pm

grantspain wrote:
poolchamp wrote:
ay up Alan,glad to see you found the full stop and comma buttons on your keyboard at last
:awe:
Im not good with this Typeing thing man im So Sorry If is annoyed people

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » October 15th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I wouldn’t sweat it mate. I don't think that anyone is, but If they were actually getting annoyed with trivial stuff like that, then they really need to take a look at themselves.

I’m just glad to leech any tech knowledge I can :ugeek: that's the bit I totally suck at

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 15th, 2008, 4:32 pm

markedkiller78 wrote:I wouldn’t sweat it mate. I don't think that anyone is, but If they were actually getting annoyed with trivial stuff like that, then they really need to take a look at themselves.

I’m just glad to leech any tech knowledge I can :ugeek: that's the bit I totally suck at
IL give ya lesson's for that AWsd your selling me mt8

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 15th, 2008, 5:13 pm

it don't annoy me one bit,just having a giraffe with yer guv ;)

neofrank

Post by neofrank » October 15th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Hope this isnt the case, but we will see :cry: they were recommended by Ken Westerfield so I am giving them the benefit, and I really want my blast working.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » October 15th, 2008, 5:19 pm

neofrank wrote:
Hope this isnt the case, but we will see :cry: they were recommended by Ken Westerfield so I am giving them the benefit, and I really want my blast working.
I feel your pain. Ordyne's come back with bad news about my Windy II chassis too. :(