Newbie monitor question

For monitor related issues
machthree
Newbie monitor question

Post by machthree » May 9th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Hi there!

Can anyone tell me if it's a good idea to tie a ground wire from the monitor frame to the same grounding point as the rest of the cab (which is the top of the isolation transformer in my current cab). The reason I ask is that everything I've read about isolation transformers suggests that the whole point of them is to isolate the monitor from the house's AC electrical ground, yet on many sites it's advised to ground the monitor frame. Won't this just reconnect the monitor to the same ground as the rest of the cabinet, therefore not isolating the monitor at all? Also, won't that make it dangerous to touch the monitor frame as you become an easy path to ground for the current?

Thanks for any help, I'm confused by this atm.

M.

grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Newbie monitor question

Post by grantspain » May 9th, 2009, 5:05 pm

well the simple answer is that every piece of exposed metal on a cab requires an earth.
Most monitors require an earth to the crt frame
all earths should be connected together and should read less than 0.4ohms to the input plug earth
iso transformers just isolate the ac voltage and have nothing to do with earth.
most modern monitors are free range voltage wereby they can operate from 80vac to 255vac
always double check your monitor before connecting up power

machthree

Post by machthree » May 9th, 2009, 5:26 pm

so if I connect a wire from the monitor frame to the same post as all the other earth wires are situated ie. on top of the isolation transformer, then everything should run as planned and the monitor will be earthed? The monitor's running ok btw, I just wasn't sure about this earthing business.

Thanks.

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » May 9th, 2009, 5:30 pm

machthree wrote:so if I connect a wire from the monitor frame to the same post as all the other earth wires are situated ie. on top of the isolation transformer, then everything should run as planned and the monitor will be earthed? The monitor's running ok btw, I just wasn't sure about this earthing business.

Thanks.
if everything is running fine then leave it but connecting an earth from to iso case should be just fine

machthree

Post by machthree » May 9th, 2009, 5:39 pm

thanks, I was worried about the safety aspect more than anything.