Toshiba PE0493 Chassis Issues

For monitor related issues
radiantsvgun
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Toshiba PE0493 Chassis Issues

Post by radiantsvgun »

In my quest to find a working backup for my Toshiba PF chassis, I got one of these from Yaton. Plugged it up, and while it does work, has issues:

YT filtered a lot of it out- but there are issues with it syncing and holding sync, loud, loud buzzing and noise from the flyback, and looks like there is constant snowing in the image.

I did a full reflow of the flyback and a few other spots that had some rough looking joints. The result was this:

The buzzing noise is much less prevalent, no syncing issues, but there is still some interference that makes it look like a snow globe shaken up. Any ideas?
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Toshiba PE0493 Chassis Issues

Post by grantspain »

normally thats caused by flo tube interference or earth related
seen it happen on polo chassis when there is a fault in brightness circuit
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

grantspain wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 9:23 am
I will try these fixes soon and let you know. I will try to also reflow as much as I can.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

radiantsvgun wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 1:35 MP
grantspain wrote:
I will try these fixes soon and let you know. I will try to also reflow as much as I can.
is the cab ok with the other chassis
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

grantspain wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 1:58 MP
radiantsvgun wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 1:35 MP
grantspain wrote:
is the cab ok with the other chassis
Yes, the other chassis works fine.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

hmm difficult, perhaps a bad solder joint or crt socket - not cab related if you other chassis is ok
mukurop
eBay: mukuro_w

Post by mukurop »

Grant that's the same issue I got with a gmk 29fs3 and one control board, replaced just the control board and all issues gone but the weird is that you have tested the apoarently faulty control board on two of my hitachi chassis and and there was no issue... Still cant figure out...
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

mukurop wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 1:35 MP
Grant that's the same issue I got with a gmk 29fs3 and one control board, replaced just the control board and all issues gone but the weird is that you have tested the apoarently faulty control board on two of my hitachi chassis and and there was no issue... Still cant figure out...
I did not try replacing the remote board. I will try that this weekend along with a reflow/cleaning of the socket connector and report back.

As far as the socket connector- deoxit/contact cleaner?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

that issue is when an earth/ground is missing somewhere or earth/ground interference- more likely bad solder joint than oxidised connector- but if its yaton then its probably been stored in a swamp so could be
nem

Post by nem »

The remote won't matter with this chassis. I leave mine unconnected, because I'm short on remotes.
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

grantspain wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 2:46 MP
that issue is when an earth/ground is missing somewhere or earth/ground interference- more likely bad solder joint than oxidised connector- but if its yaton then its probably been stored in a swamp so could be
Yes, I am going to try everything I can before I plug it back in. I don't have the skill to properly reflow the very small joints, but I will reflow everything I can. The picture and colors are great, so I do not think it is a cap related issue.
mukurop

Post by mukurop »

nem wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 3:08 MP
The remote won't matter with this chassis. I leave mine unconnected, because I'm short on remotes.

indeed! the strange thing is that the same control card that caused that problem in my capcom impress, was examined by Grant and from him the problem was not present, at that point I tried everything, I thought it was the tube to have problems, replaced this but nothing by chance changed, then casually mounted the control board present on my super neo 29 ​​" to the impress and the problem was solved completely yet I look for an answer to this mystery, I checked the wiring 100 times but everything is ok.
I forgot to say that I had tried first of all to swap the chasssis but not the control board and obviously I had the same problem and I did this before replacing the tube of course ...and I know I'm talking about an another chassis but this is the first time someone shows this problem and I had to tell you about my experience hoping to figure out what the hell it is
nem

Post by nem »

If the remote has microswitches to control an OSD, it shouldn't matter if remote is connected or not. However, a remote with pots needs to be connected for the chassis to function.
mukurop

Post by mukurop »

I see, as Grant advice, there should be somthing wrong with ground. ... I remember that on my monitor, there were strange snowy pixels and whitish waves expecially noticeable on dark-grey colourred area s of the screen during gameplay....
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

Reflow of the neck card and sockets. No change. I will have to shelf this until a later date.
mukurop

Post by mukurop »

I'm sure that some chassis portion, some where is on lack of insulation.. Could be easy...
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

mukurop wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 8:16 MP
I'm sure that some chassis portion, some where is on lack of insulation.. Could be easy...
You are probably right. However I lack the skill to diagnose further. I really would like to have the caps changed to rule that out, but these Toshibas seem booby-trapped with recaps. I have had a few recapped and they never work afterwards :(.
mukurop

Post by mukurop »

Please do not replace all caps but just the only ones are leaking, usually they are just few on primary psu section and some one deflection area, there is also one netallic film (sometimes mylar 0.022uf) near the flyback that can interfer with abl and the screen becomes too dimm, in this case must be replaced...
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

I wanted to follow up on this, as I was able to get it working.

For some reason, this chassis does not like my Egret 3.

I tried it in another cabinet, and it worked perfectly. I am not sure if it is because I am sending 15k from the db 15, or the power goes to the outlet in the Egret 3. However, on the same tube in a NNC and the 15k going directly into the chassis and not though the vga port, it works perfectly. It does not do the whine either.
radiantsvgun

Post by radiantsvgun »

Last update on this- a friend of mine did a full recap and it fixed all the problems.