Monitor Issue Domy Theater

For monitor related issues
Daffyjjh
Monitor Issue Domy Theater

Post by Daffyjjh »

Hello,
I am in Palmetto, FL and I have a 33" Konami japanese cabinet called a Domy Theater. I am not getting any video on the monitor. Marquee lights and I can hear sound. The monitor does not flash at all. I just replaced most of the smaller capacitors on the chassis. Everything appears to be hooked up as far as I can tell. There is a high pitched whine present as soon as I power up so I was thinking maybe the flyback? The chassis is an odd one; a Taxan GN-33J. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Thanks,
John
Last edited by Daffyjjh on November 11th, 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zak
eBay: NA

Re: Monitor Issue Do my Theater

Post by zak »

Daffyjjh wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 12:22 MP
Hello,
I am in Palmetto, FL and I have a 33" Konami japanese cabinet called a Domy Theater. I am not getting any video on the monitor. Marquee lights and I can hear sound. The monitor does not flash at all. I just replaced most of the smaller capacitors on the chassis. Everything appears to be hooked up as far as I can tell. There is a high pitched whine present as soon as I power up so I was thinking maybe the flyback? The chassis is an odd one; a Taxan GN-33J. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Thanks,
John
I had a similar issue with my Capcom Cute. Turned out to be the power supply.

Full recap by @grantspain fixed it.

Not always just the chassis for monitor problems.
Daffyjjh

Post by Daffyjjh »

That being said. The monitor has a regular outlet plug that comes off the chassis and plugs into an auxiliary port on the power supply. Would I be able to directly plug the monitor into the wall and bypass the psu that way, I was afraid I might blow something up and too chicken!
nem

Post by nem »

Daffyjjh wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 5:42 MP
Would I be able to directly plug the monitor into the wall and bypass the psu that way
Yeah, you can just plug it into the wall, however, the monitor isn't connected to the PSU. The PSU is separate. The monitor runs on mains voltage. AC goes from the back of cab to the front of the cab and splits off. There's absolutely nothing that could stop AC from going to the marquee light and PSU, but not to the monitor.

It's a chassis issue.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Monitor Issue Domy Theater

Post by grantspain »

high pitched noise could be result of shorted HOT which in turn could be shorted due to bad flyback
there is no info on this monitor anywhere
nem

Post by nem »

I seem to remember @AteThePrincess mentioning it's a clone of a Nanao?
Daffyjjh

Post by Daffyjjh »

That's the first I have heard that. If that turns out to be the case, would the chassis be interchangeable then? I will look at my Astro City's and see if they look the same.
nem

Post by nem »

Found it:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... tID=129392

I know there's a MS9-33. Probably about as rare the Taxan. Anyone here happen to own a Rave Racer Deluxe? :lol:

Anyway, the chassis from an Astro City won't be compatible.
AteThePrincess
eBay: isan725
Initials: ATP

Post by AteThePrincess »

I mentioned it because someone on KLOV mentioned it.

Mine worked for 10 minutes, then died. I sent it to two different people for repairs after I couldn't figure it out (replaced all caps and HOT, and another transistor that was bad), and they both gave up and sent it back. I ended up just dropping a monitor out of a showcase cab into it and calling it a day.