31k Issues with Naomi on AWSD (Wei-Ya)

For monitor related issues
Kickin' Wing
31k Issues with Naomi on AWSD (Wei-Ya)

Post by Kickin' Wing » April 29th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just picked up a Naomi setup for the AWSD and am having a really odd problem with the monitor: it starts up fine, but after about a minute the entire screen shifts horizontally. I've had it working properly a few times, but now this issue has become a regular occurrence.

The current configuration is: VGA directly from the Naomi motherboard (all dips down); Capcom I/O for Audio, Controls & Power.

I've tried increasing the +5 & 3.3V on the PSU and powering it with both the JVS leads & through the Capcom I/O, but I end up with the same problem. Also tired the setup in a friend's Uni & Blast with no problems and it seems to run fine in 15k on my cab. I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas?

Noticed in the manual, there's an h.sub hold for 31k, not sure if playing with that or the B+ would be beneficial?

-|wiNg+thanks

grantspain
Tech Head

Re: 31k Issues with Naomi on AWSD (Wei-Ya)

Post by grantspain » April 29th, 2009, 7:30 pm

i would try the h.sub pot,don't touch the b+
the horizontal shift and hold do not correct it then?

neokoen

Post by neokoen » April 29th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Ah, that....

When you bang the cab it sometimes pops back, right?
On my cab it turned out to be a dry solder joint on the 31k sub-PCB on the chassis.

Kickin' Wing

Post by Kickin' Wing » April 29th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

I opened the cab all up and put the board back in to see if playing with that pot, or anything else, would help and it just seems to work. Left it on for a few hours and didn't see any problems, turned it off for a few and have it back on now with no screen-shift yet.

When I first got the board it was like this (working properly), but developed the problem the next day to the point where every boot, by the 2nd attract, the screen would move. During all that it did correct itself a few times, but that didn't last too long. Not quite sure what the problem may be. I'm going to leave everything open for another day or so just to make sure it's good for now.

I'm still very curious what may have been the cause, but if it pops up again I'll be sure to check out that pot and slap that 31k pcb around. Thinking at this point maybe a cracked solder joint on the chassis or possibly complications with the i/o due to poor contact with the jamma connector (the metal makes it hard to get it on there with that large taito harness).

-|wiNg

hedorah

Post by hedorah » April 30th, 2009, 5:48 am

If you figure out what the problem was please update the thread. I had a similar problem where the screen would 'slip' and shift to the left like your attached picture this would happen with anything hooked up via VGA. Cycling the power generally fixed it. I have not seen it recently though so I am crossing my fingers it wont pop up again.

Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Post by Mayhem » April 30th, 2009, 9:36 am

How do you connect the video, by JAMMA through an I/O board or directly to the monitor? If the former you should try the latter. But I am guessing this is chassis related, two out of the three AWSD's I've been in contact with had a burnt out resistor on the 31 KHz module which caused glitches very much like this...
Once I start I cannot stop myself

Kickin' Wing

Post by Kickin' Wing » May 1st, 2009, 2:57 am

Mayhem wrote:How do you connect the video, by JAMMA through an I/O board or directly to the monitor? If the former you should try the latter. But I am guessing this is chassis related, two out of the three AWSD's I've been in contact with had a burnt out resistor on the 31 KHz module which caused glitches very much like this...
Directly to the monitor.

I booted up the cab this afternoon and it started out glitched, slapped the side a few times and it didn't seem to fix it. By the time I found a screwdriver to try and play with that 31k Sync Pot, it had fixed itself. Cab played fine for an hour after that, powered it off & back on and it's been fine for the past 3 hours.

Is the board the people seem to have problems with the vertically mounted one on the chassis behind the HV? If this comes back and continues to be a problem, I'll pull the chassis and see what's what on there.

-|wiNg

Late Night Edit: Put the cab back together and back in place, started it up and it was very "glitchy" random distortions on the screen, slight flicker. Then after a few minutes it shifted horizontally again--I noticed it also kind of wraps around to the right side of the screen slightly.

Whacked the side and it straightened back up, shifted again about 5 minutes later and I hit it again---getting very good at that.. been fine since (few hours now). Guess there's a broken solder joint or a loose/broken connection somewhere. When I find out what I'll post up the info.

Thanks again for the help.

Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Post by Mayhem » May 4th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Kickin' Wing wrote:Is the board the people seem to have problems with the vertically mounted one on the chassis behind the HV?
Yup, that would be a good place to start your troubleshooting.
Once I start I cannot stop myself