For monitor related issues
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
sergiopolog
eBay: sergiopolog0

Tube and Chassis cleaning

Post by sergiopolog » January 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Hi forum!

I have spares Toshiba Tube and Nanao MS9-29T for my Egret 2, and I'm willing to make a deep cleaning into them previously to do a recap, cause they have a thousand layer dust on them over the years.

I've clean a lot of game pcbs in the past with degreaser spray and then get them a shower. No problems at all, but I'm a little scare doing it to tube and chassis... Does anyone have experience with cleaning tubes and monitor chassis with a similar method? Are there some tips to take into account?

I saw this video from one fellow countryman using this method:

Thanks in advance!

ChuChuFlamingo

Re: Tube and Chassis cleaning

Post by ChuChuFlamingo » January 11th, 2019, 3:34 am

You really need to make sure all the water is dried. A lot of these IC's are not waterproof and can suffer from water ingress if not properly dried. You can set up potential failures down the road if the residues dry and react over the years on the ics (depends upon what contaminants are in your water). Not very many chips on a chassis though compared to a pcb.

Here is some insight on it

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... #post61858

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... /&pageNo=1

tl;dr if you do clean it you need to make sure you rinse it with rubbing alcohol/distilled water and put it in an oven to properly dry so it doesn't leave residues. Ymmv.

For cleaning tubes the front just clean with a soft microfiber cloth and some dish soap. Then wipe clean with distilled water/dry. Blowing out the dust that has accumulated on the yoke and neck of the tube would be a good idea. I would skip spraying any harsh chemicals on the back of the tube though. You might remove the aquadag coating on the back due to age if you do. Not a big a deal to fix if it happens but just thought I would warn you.

grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Tube and Chassis cleaning

Post by grantspain » January 11th, 2019, 6:19 am

water inside coils and caps is a serious concern, when i wash chassis i do it before i put new caps in and i remove and open coil/ transformer and then make sure the chassis is bone dry