Replacement Tube for a NAC for a MS9 Chassis?

For monitor related issues
jon713
eBay: jonmode
Initials: JON

Replacement Tube for a NAC for a MS9 Chassis?

Post by jon713 »

Hello everyone!

So long story short...Maybe

My New Astro City (NAC) tube was acting up giving me a strong green tint and being very dim. At first I thought it was my chassis so I sent that off to a buddy of mine in cali who tested it on his cab. Well turns out that the picture was perfect and bright on his side. I did mess around with the contrast, brightness and all those controls on the remote board but still very little change. I did notice that the browns were not showing up, especially when I play final fight. I've tested this with different games and they all look the same. So I think the next step was using a CRT Rejuvenator just to test if the tube would give me a good reading. I was able to find a B&K 467 rejuvenator on eBay for $80 shipped. After receiving my rejuvenator is turns out I didn't have the adapter to plug it into the gun. So I bought a universal adapter but it was tricky connecting it to the tube one of the connecters didn't really seem to make contact with one of the pins on the gun. But I found a guy on the Klov forums who makes the adapters and got one from him. This adapter just slid in perfectly.
(I needed the crt-23 adapter)

When I first used the Universal adapter I got a low reading on all 3 colors, I researched online and looked at a few videos on how to correctly test and rejuvenate the tube. I first started off with a clean and balance which is the lowest and safest way to clean your tube. Nothing really changed so I switched it to the rejuvenate option, after I did that It gave me no reading at all in the test mode. I left it alone for a few days and got the new adapter from Klov which correctly fit on the neck. (Which was a crt-23 adapter)

I wouldn't recommend getting the Universal adapter, first its $80 bucks and second it doesn't slide in, rather its small hooks that hook onto each pin, maybe I must have had it hooked on a wrong pin, not sure. I used a diagram that I found online to see what connected where but maybe I did it wrong. (I'm sure I did)

After receiving my new adapter I did the test again and still got zero reading from the needles. I wasn't sure if my rejuvenator was **** or if the monitor was just dead. So I decided to test it out on my Neo29's tube, did the same setup and test and I got good reading on the tube. So that means it must have been on its last legs and I killed my NAC monitor with a bad connection or I just fried it with the rejuvenation.

I also noticed when I did the test on my neo29 I would get a red glow on the neck and I wasn't even getting that on my NAC tube.

So that sucks, now how do I go by getting a similar tube that will work with my chassis and fit in my candy cab NAC? Again I have been researching and reading on this site and I seem to see a lot about the Yoke, is this the main factor for compatibility?

The NAC tube I have is a Toshiba 29" A68KJU96X and my chassis is a Nanao MS9. Again my chassis works perfectly and had a cap kit done to it a year before by the last owner.

I am a bit lost on knowing whats compatible with my chassis, any information would be appreciated so I can swap my tube.

I live in Seattle WA, USA :D

Thanks in advanced
John V.
bagheera369

Re: Replacement Tube for a NAC for a MS9 Chassis?

Post by bagheera369 »

Yeah. A universal adapter is a big opportunity for mistakes. If you've been in the hobby long enough, you will have killed a monitor at some point. It just happens...I necked an atomiswave tube before I ever got my first game on it.

The best way I can tell you to go looking for tubes, is locally. Start reaching out on KLOV and every other forum you can find, and ask for anybody in the Northeast with spare tubes. Also, if you have some crt repair people in Seattle, start making calls. Any arcade operators are also a place to look, although most are loathe to sell any working monitors they have, cause they are needed for their own games. You may find some luck there though.

The tube you mentioned is where to start. There is also a Hitatchi tube that works for Nanao Ms9-29su's that should be suitable if you can find it. Someone please jump in here with the number if you could.

The other place I recommend is start scouring craigslist for sega racers, or local arcade auctions if you have them. Nanao's mainly came over in Sega cabs to the states, and that's a good place to start sourcing a replacement. When you ask about the game, have them shoot you a picture of the sticker on the monitor, and the screen itself. Obviously you don't want a monitor that's heavily burnt for your beloved NAC. If you can get the game cheap enough, you can yank the good monitor for your candy...find a mediocre or more burnt monitor later, toss it in, and sell off the cab you bought...or sell it with no monitor....up to you.

The last option you can look for is just getting a completely different monitor, and not use your chassis at all. I don't know if you actually use the Mid Res capabilities on your NAC, but if not....something simple and easy to find like a Wells Gardner K7000/7400 would give you a working monitor till you could find a proper Nanao.

Replacing monitors is never fun.
I am just starting in on a NAC that's had its yoke wires cut, and twisted with wires for a non Nanao chassis...but they werent even insulated. I'm going to have to go through the whole thing from top to bottom...especially as its missing all of its harness too.

I wish you the best of luck in your search, and if you have any other questions, I will try and help.
jon713
eBay: jonmode
Initials: JON

Post by jon713 »

Hey thanks for the tips!

That was my first mistake I should have just waited for the right adapter, oh wells good learning experience I guess.

I have reached out to an arcade group I'm in here in seattle, hopefully something will pop up. Guys on there seem really helpful. Ive also reached out to other forums for help and clarification.

So from what I have read so far, it really just matters if the Yoke is compatible with my chassis correct? And replacing a Yoke doesn't seem like an easy task. I found a site from Hong Kong, arcade spare parts I believe that might have a tube I'm looking for but I just don't trust the shipping. The tube was $250 used. Who knows how much shipping would be?

I am fine with using a Mid Rez tube, it would just be a matter of it fitting in my cab correct? or is there other things that might not work? Using a new chassis and tube seems like the solution. I know it wouldn't curve to the bezel but my blast city is like that, its a flatter monitor so I get a small gap, doesn't really matter to me. I just want something I can play with, usually just play older games 15kHz.

Thanks for the Luck!

John
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

0.300mh yoke on that chassis,it will be difficult to find a matching tube/yoke combo unless from a similar monitor

yoke swap is easy,results can be hit and miss