Gaussing problems on monitors

For monitor related issues
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Gaussing problems on monitors

Post by Chi » October 21st, 2008, 12:13 am

Hello chaps,

I'm looking into buying a machine (a Konami DDR cab), and having looked at the pics of one possibility I've not physically seen it yet), it seems to have a problem with magnetism affecting the screen in two places (I guess from the speakers, but they are in odd places - bottom right hand corner, and mid-lower left hand side - on a DDR machine, the speakers are up top on the marquee, with two subwoofers underneath the monitor). It's not at all significant (actually quite mild - see attached pic; it is more noticable on the monitor test screen, as the red calibration lines become purple in the affected areas), but it is noticable to me - The machine auto-degausses on power up, but the problem remains.
IMGP2221.jpg
IMGP2232.jpg
(clicky to see)

I'm a bit of a monitor nub; is it possible to smooth out this gaussing in some way? If so, how much does this usually cost (rough estimate), and is it possible to DIY? :p

I don't really care if it isn't, this is more a question out of interest :D

Ta!
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

yosai
280bpm's too slow
eBay: yosai

Re: Gaussing problems on monitors

Post by yosai » October 21st, 2008, 12:22 am

If you can open the machine have a look to see if the degauss coil has moved away from the screen.

You could also remove the monitor from the machine and see if the problem goes away, the subs may have stupidly powerful magnets attached to them.

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 21st, 2008, 12:33 am

Cheers - that's something for me to bear in mind if I pick up the machine.

(Dagnammit, I've also just realised I posted this in t'wrong forum - can one of you nice mods push it over to the "Arcade Monitors" one, plx?)
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

Flazh

Post by Flazh » October 21st, 2008, 1:03 am

Can't you do that drill with a magnet on the end trick with that?

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 21st, 2008, 1:05 am

Flazh wrote:Can't you do that drill with a magnet on the end trick with that?
Whassat trick then dude? I'm a total, total monitor nub. I can discharge one, and that's it XD

Flazh

Post by Flazh » October 21st, 2008, 1:09 am

I read about it on Killercabs before, but basically its a rare earth magnet on the end of a drill that you move around the affected area to remove the distortion. Basically a ghetto degaussing coil, but without an electromagnet.

I think it has something to do with the shadowmask being magnetised, so it makes the rays strike the phosphor on the monitor in the wrong place.

Edit: See this.

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 21st, 2008, 1:38 am

This one a bit of the same but cheap and works. Get a speaker from a cab 2omhs is fine use the magnet of the speaker and move a close as you can ,You will see the screen change colors shake and push it untill your happy with pic ;)

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 21st, 2008, 2:15 pm

if thats a dancing stage which i think it is,there is a manual degauss button in the coin door area above the service switch

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 21st, 2008, 2:37 pm

Cheers, all. Lot's of nice information for me to consider!

Grant: Yes, it's a Dancing Stage (more precisely it's a Japanese DDR 4th Mix that's been upgraded to DDR Extreme [using a bootleg kit, it looks to me for various reasons], but I'm pretty sure the UK ones are the same as the Japanese in terms of hardware... it's the asian/korean cabs which are a bit different).

When I see the machine in person I'll try a manual degauss in the service area.

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 22nd, 2008, 6:10 pm

Cheers for all the information guys!

As it happens, that particular machine has got too expensive to make it worthwhile for me anyway (someone outside the UK has offered a rather silly amount of money to the seller), so I'll be leaving it. So, I'm still on the lookout for an inexpensive DDR cab if anyone knows of one for sale! :D

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 22nd, 2008, 6:13 pm

how much is inexpensive??

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 22nd, 2008, 7:25 pm

Assuming it's in reasonable nick (I'm fine with servicing pads and replacing superficial rubbish like lights and decals - it's the monitor that is most interesting to me, as I've seen some dreadful ones), I've got a budget of about £3,250 including shipping (that's the killer). for a *really* nice one, I might be able to push a bit higher (by at most a £200-250 or so). For one in UK I'd just grab a van and pick it up myself...

This also needs to factor getting a System 573 digital Motherboard if I get something like a Dancing Stage Euromix that runs on System 573 analogue (but that's only about £150 though - I've got a friend in the States that might have one I can pinch, else there's eBay), but *not* if its a DDR 3rd Mix-Extreme or a Dancing Stage Euromix 2 (they all run on Sys573digital).

I'd even be interested in a crappy one if it were cheap enough (as in to factor in getting replacement pad sensors and/or 15kHz monitor)! :p

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » October 22nd, 2008, 8:17 pm

I assume you saw the one that had a faulty Sys 573 board on ebay recently, and went for sub 800?

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 22nd, 2008, 8:27 pm

and you do not want a pump it up?

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 22nd, 2008, 8:40 pm

grantspain wrote:and you do not want a pump it up?
Definitely not - PIU just isn't my thang :D
cools wrote:I assume you saw the one that had a faulty Sys 573 board on ebay recently, and went for sub 800?
****, no I missed that one D: Bugger. I've not been watching eBay UK, as there's not usually any cabs on there (I've a search on eBay USA for motherboards). I'll set up a email watch on it now though...

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 22nd, 2008, 9:04 pm

i would sell one of my dancing stage but i think the drive may be a bit far :P

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm

Heh, yeah that's certainly a long one! :p

If only the ferries were more sensible from England to Spain...

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » October 22nd, 2008, 9:14 pm

Chi wrote:
cools wrote:I assume you saw the one that had a faulty Sys 573 board on ebay recently, and went for sub 800?
****, no I missed that one D: Bugger. I've not been watching eBay UK, as there's not usually any cabs on there (I've a search on eBay USA for motherboards). I'll set up a email watch on it now though...
Ahh man, damn shame!

I only spotted it in my RSS search. When it was at 50 quid.

Flazh

Post by Flazh » October 22nd, 2008, 11:50 pm

Have you tried contacting PMT Sales in Leeds. They are actually the distributors for Konami in the UK, and might have one or two second hand machines.

Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi » October 23rd, 2008, 1:48 am

Flazh wrote:Have you tried contacting PMT Sales in Leeds. They are actually the distributors for Konami in the UK, and might have one or two second hand machines.
They do, but they wanted to pimp Supernova or Dancing Stage Euromix 2 (and pointblank refused to speak to me about DDR mixes), and they are stupidly pricey. I was quoted this 6 months ago:
euromix 1 3995 plus at
euromix2 4250 plus vat
fusion 4495 pus vat
supernova 5495 plus vat
(EM1 at £3,995+VAT... £4,700 for an 8 year old machine???)

The best one was a supplier (Liberty Games) that quoted me £5,850 for a DDR Extreme (bootlegged, naturally). Then there was UDC that quoted me £6,000 for a Dancing Stage Fusion.

Even factoring in going there with cash in hand and trying to haggle, these are well over the odds.

Honestly, the only distro I've seen that isn't totally taking the mick with prices was JNC.

Anyway, sorry I've moved this thread well off-topic :p