Wobble wobble

For monitor related issues
Pat70

Wobble wobble

Post by Pat70 » October 18th, 2008, 10:31 am

This really is my monitor week. Another problem just arose. :?
I moved my new astro to another spot and put my Naomi universal cab right next to it.
Now I turn on the New Astro and the picture is a bit wobbly, shaking just a bit, really annoying.
I didn't touch anything inside the cab, just moved it. What's up? Any ideas what might cause this? Static maybe? Too close to the other cab? Too close to the power supply? Too close to the heating pipes?

grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Wobble wobble

Post by grantspain » October 18th, 2008, 11:46 am

sometimes having two cabs in very close proximity can cause this,its the yokes interacting
you can get a similar effect if you mount a transformer to close to a yoke,the magnetic field is counter acting

first move the cab 2 foot away,if the wobble goes then this is your problem
if it does not go then maybe you have bas solder joint on the chassis around the b+ filter cap or there is an earth problem

Mellor
Initials: MEL

Post by Mellor » October 18th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Does the wobble dissapear once the monitor has warmed up?

Pat70

Post by Pat70 » October 18th, 2008, 3:15 pm

I moved the cab to another room, wobble is still there.... :|
After warming up no change unfortunately.
grantspain wrote: if it does not go then maybe you have bas solder joint on the chassis around the b+ filter cap or there is an earth problem
how can this just happen? I mean, I just moved the cab. there's always something going on with these candy cabs. you solve one thing something else creeps up. :roll:

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 18th, 2008, 3:43 pm

whenever moving an older machine you are likely to disturb some things that otherwise may have just been working o.k

my reckoning is that you have a few bad solder joints on the monitor chassis,i would check very carefully

Mellor

Post by Mellor » October 18th, 2008, 4:22 pm

grantspain wrote:whenever moving an older machine you are likely to disturb some things that otherwise may have just been working o.k

my reckoning is that you have a few bad solder joints on the monitor chassis,i would check very carefully
If it does correct after warming up Grant, is the diagnosis still the same? I have a bit of a wobble for 5/10 mins on one of mine. Big heavy mofo though and wanted to avoid moving it for chassis access.

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Mellor wrote:
grantspain wrote:whenever moving an older machine you are likely to disturb some things that otherwise may have just been working o.k

If it does correct after warming up Grant, is the diagnosis still the same? I have a bit of a wobble for 5/10 mins on one of mine. Big heavy mofo though and wanted to avoid moving it for chassis access.
s

Yes seems your problem is a dry joint,
You need to soldier some im afraid ,
Some how your cab got a bit damp,Try this to be sure and not have to move ,
Leave off for a day put a hair dryer in cab for 20-30 mins take out if no wobble then yours is a dry joint ,If not bad cap then

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Pat70 wrote:I moved the cab to another room, wobble is still there.... :|
grantspain wrote: if it does not go then maybe you have bas solder joint on the chassis around the b+ filter cap or there is an earth problem
how can this just happen? I mean, I just moved the cab. there's always something going on with these candy cabs. you solve one thing something else creeps up. :roll:
Would like to see the wobble on ytube please ?Mellor one sounds like dry joint but ,But yours i recon is differant would like to see before i can make a proper comment

Mellor

Post by Mellor » October 18th, 2008, 4:50 pm

poolchamp wrote:
Mellor wrote:

s

Yes seems your problem is a dry joint,
You need to soldier some im afraid ,
Some how your cab got a bit damp,Try this to be sure and not have to move ,
Leave off for a day put a hair dryer in cab for 20-30 mins take out if no wobble then yours is a dry joint ,If not bad cap then
Ta,

By the time you get to playing the problem is usually alright. I'll let it get worse before having a look. Almost certainly the hair dryer trick will correct it I think. I usually do this with machines before turning them on if they are not in the gamesroom and just out in the garage.

Pat70

Post by Pat70 » October 18th, 2008, 5:28 pm

I'll try the hair dryer this weekend, gotta ask my gf to bring one, cause well, I don't have one myself...go figure... :shock:

thanks for your input!

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 18th, 2008, 5:34 pm

poolchamp wrote:
Pat70 wrote:I moved the cab to another room, wobble is still there.... :|
Would like to see the wobble on ytube please ?Mellor one sounds like dry joint but ,But yours i recon is differant would like to see before i can make a proper comment
hey poolchamp you seem to know ALMOST as much as me,we should tech mod you 8-)

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Pat70 wrote:I'll try the hair dryer this weekend, gotta ask my gf to bring one, cause well, I don't have one myself...go figure... :shock:

thanks for your input!
Cant see yours going to work with hair dryer mt8 that was mellors so he did not have to move cab and knew its a dryjoint wont fix his problem but will know its a dry joint ,I need to see a pic of the wobble on youtube you try yours

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 5:38 pm

[/quote]
hey poolchamp you seem to know ALMOST as much as me,we should tech mod you 8-)[/quote]

I like the ALMOST bit :lol:

Pat70

Post by Pat70 » October 18th, 2008, 6:02 pm

I'd youtube it if I'd have a decent cam. but desafortunadamente...
I dont have a decent cam to do so...
Really it's like watching tv with bad cable signal. I put in a coin and I get interference. Weird aint it?

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Pat70 wrote:I'd youtube it if I'd have a decent cam. but desafortunadamente...
I dont have a decent cam to do so...
Really it's like watching tv with bad cable signal. I put in a coin and I get interference. Weird aint it?
Might be Ajustment pot problem as its not intermitted also could be faulty molex plux either to montior or edge connector of pcb ,Recon now its not Monitor tbh But really need to see something shooting in the dark here your problem could be anyone of 6 that i know of ,As i cant see try this and come back
1/Make sure All wires are in there correct poision's as move may have move a sync or ground
2/Make sure +5 is correct and power supply is at 5.15volts
3/Ajust small ajustment pots
This is a process of elemation even a camera phone would do

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain » October 18th, 2008, 8:19 pm

poolchamp wrote:
hey poolchamp you seem to know ALMOST as much as me,we should tech mod you 8-)[/quote]

I like the ALMOST bit :lol:[/quote]

o.k mate i'm sorry,NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS ;)

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp » October 18th, 2008, 8:30 pm

grantspain wrote:
poolchamp wrote:
hey poolchamp you seem to know ALMOST as much as me,we should tech mod you 8-)
I like the ALMOST bit :lol:[/quote]

o.k mate i'm sorry,NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS ;)[/quote]

Yeah thats more like it ,But i was honered you taught that i was .

Dont want to rain on your thunder, is it ok for me to answer some of these posts mt8 ,Im trying not to **** you off was just boared ;)