Sega Nascar conversion to Outrun 2 SP how to change four way shifter

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Marcosan30
eBay: Marco_Sanders

Sega Nascar conversion to Outrun 2 SP how to change four way shifter

Post by Marcosan30 » March 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Hello members of arcade otaku,

I have been working on a conversion from my sega Nascar driver to outrun 2 SP.
The nascar motherboard has been swapped for an chihiro type 3 with flash card solution to play outrun 2 sp.
The proper driveboard is installed so there is force feedback and i have cleaned the cab.

The thing i am having trouble with is the replacement of the 4 way nascar shifter to the outrun 2 up and down shifter.
When i take out the 4way nascar shifter it has an 6 pin molex, where 4 pins seem to be used. The new up down shifter has a 4 pins molex connecter (where 3 pins seem to be used).

My technical knowledge on cuttin wires and soldering is very limited :oops: So i was wondering if maybe the is an easy solution for this? Like an converter cable?
Hopefully someone has dealt with this issue before an could advise me what to do.

All help is very welcome and appreciated. Kind regards Marco

Foto 1: cable from nascar cabinet to 4 way shifter
Foto 2: molex on the 4 way shifter
Foto 3: molex on the up down shifter
Attachments
molex from cabinet to four way switcher.jpg
molex from 4 way switcher to cabinet 2.jpg
molex new outrun 2 up down switcher.jpg
Last edited by Marcosan30 on March 11th, 2020, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nem

Re: Sega Nascar conversion to Outrun 2 SP how to change four way shifter

Post by nem » March 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm

There's three microswitches in the 4-way shifter. IIRC one for up, one for down, and one for right. So for instance 3rd gear is a combination of up and right. That's why you have four pins (three inputs, one GND). The up and down shifter has just two switches (one for up, one for down), so three pins.

Anyway, if you plan to use the existing wiring, you'll have to figure out where the pins terminate to on the JVS IO. Most likely you'll have to rewire it at the JVS IO end.

Marcosan30

Post by Marcosan30 » March 6th, 2020, 7:15 pm

nem wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 5:59 MP
There's three microswitches in the 4-way shifter. IIRC one for up, one for down, and one for right. So for instance 3rd gear is a combination of up and right. That's why you have four pins (three inputs, one GND). The up and down shifter has just two switches (one for up, one for down), so three pins.
Thank you for the reply Nem, what you say sounds logical enough. Using the existing wiring is preferable, but not a must.
I will try and find out where the existing cable goes on the JVS IO and see if that helps.

I will also check this forum once in a while and hope someone has a solution :)

Marcosan30

Post by Marcosan30 » March 9th, 2020, 9:52 am

I looked at where the Original cable leads and the first intermittent stop was a connecter which is the one in the foto's:
1. connecter in (cable where the 4 way shifter was) has red wire, blue wire, yellow wire and white wire (i quess up, down, right and ground)
2. connecter out has red, yellow, blue, green and white and this connecter goes down the cabinet into a very big connecter down the cab and to the boards (drive board, chihiro)

Up to the big connecter it get's very intransparent where the wiring leads; because it contains a lot of wires.

Hopefully someone has a diagram of which wire contains which pin for up. down and ground. And then wire these into a new molex which connects to the new shifter? :eh:
Attachments
IMG_5715.jpg
IMG_5716.jpg
IMG_5717.jpg

nem

Post by nem » March 9th, 2020, 10:04 am

They're digital inputs, so they will terminate to the JVS IO. Try to look for the manual and schematic. If you can't find one, then you'll have to meter them with a multimeter in continuity mode. Then crosscheck that with the ORS2P schematic. You can easily repin the 60-pin digital input connector. It's just a matter of lifting a tab and pulling out the pin.

AMS
eBay: Havenofeedback

Post by AMS » March 11th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Any chance you selling me the hikaru board set? :awe: :awe:
BGA Baller!

AMS

Post by AMS » March 14th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Fixed?
BGA Baller!

Marcosan30

Post by Marcosan30 » March 15th, 2020, 12:13 am

Ams has helped me to make progression on my shifter project. He connected the up and down pins from the existing wiring to the new shifter with new wiring.

Result: the down and up shifter commands show up in jvs test and input test (in game test menu). Weird thing is the commands do not work in game (while playing with manual transmission)?? :wtf:

I am wondering what the next step should be;
1. Is the only way to make this work new wiring from the jvs i/o and can i not use the existing nascar wiring?
2. Do i have the wrong up-down shifter (i have heard there are different versions)?
3. Do i have to use a loop cable (is the shifter looped?)

Would be great if someone knows a solution.

AMS

Post by AMS » March 15th, 2020, 9:12 am

As most racers use the 2p input to extend the controlles on the JVS. Can somebody confirm that outrun2 uses in testmode player 1 or player 2 input for the shifter. Since if it uses p1 we have to wire the jvs 1p input instead of p2

:-)
BGA Baller!

outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 » March 15th, 2020, 8:46 pm

The shifter control is on 2p input in OR2. It is the correct shifter. What values are you getting?

Can't remember off hand, is Nascar JVS type 2 i/o? OR2 is type 1.
Found:
Sega Model 3 Dirt Devils ROM board or complete boardset ;)

Marcosan30

Post by Marcosan30 » March 15th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I have looked in my nascar cab and can confirm it has the Nascar JVS type 2 i/o. (i will add a picture)

Does this change things? Can i rewire or do i have to buy a JVS type 1 i/o for getting this to work?
Attachments
IMG_5720.jpg

outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 » March 16th, 2020, 1:19 pm

You will get a reading in the i/o test to prove the i/o board is reading the inputs, but they may be on the wrong pins for the game.

Do all the other inputs and outputs work on the cab when running OR2? Analogue (pedals and steering) should be ok, but do the digital inputs work? For that I mean start and view change button.

I haven't got a Nascar wiring diagram, but F355 uses the same i/o board and requires the shifter to be on the following pins on the larger (40pin) JST header:

SHIFT UP = 31
SHIFT DOWN = 32

You should be able to meter this (on continuity setting) to check you have the correct pins.

You don't need special tools to swap pins, just push a small flat screwdriver onto the tab and pull the wire with pin out. The pin will just click into the new location.

Before removing anything though, make a list of which colour wire is on which pin so you can revert back if you need to. Or find a wiring diagram for Nascar.
Found:
Sega Model 3 Dirt Devils ROM board or complete boardset ;)

Marcosan30

Post by Marcosan30 » March 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm

The start and view change buttons do work properly.
But what you state makes sense; the inputs could be on the wrong pins for the game. I will look into that.

Thanks for the reply :D