List of potentially idiotic newbie questions

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Sinjd
Legend
eBay: Sinjd

List of potentially idiotic newbie questions

Post by Sinjd »

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in the shadows for while, came here near the start after KC died (I'd just signed up and was reading stuff when it went under :( ) posted a shockinly fantastical 3 times, bought something then disapeared :lol: . Circumstances have mean't that I've been out of the market for a cab for a while, but circumstances have now changed to be slightly in my favour and I actually have space where I could fit one. However I am the newbiest newb in newb town when it comes to cabs. Having read lots I'm sure I could tell the difference between an Egret, a Blast, a Naomi etc (without reading the label :lol: ). However knowing which cab is best for what purpose is something I don't really know.

Generally speaking I'm going to be playing fighters on it (I'm AWFUL at them, but love them to bits), either Capcom stuff or SNK stuff. To get me started I figured I'd use my Dreamcast and a pad hack to the control panel to give me plenty of gaming choice to get started, as I have quite a nice collection of fighters and stuff:

I also have a few Shmups (bottom left corner), although I'll admit to knowing even less about Shmups than I do cabs :( (the ones in the picture were bought based on the idea that expensive=good, with the exception of Ikaruga, which I bought cos I actually know what it is :D ). To play them "properly" I'd need to Tate the naomi yes? So question 1 i guess is How easy is tating a Naomi?. Is it going to be a two man job? From what I was reading elsewhere the Egret 2 is one of the simplest to rotate as it has a backplate thing to the monitor right?

Question 2: Black Naomi, is it only the HOTD machine that is black?
Question 2.1: If so, I assume turning it into a SD cab is no more complicated an endevour than turning any Naomi into a SD. I'll just need a control panel, buttons, etc and at least some technical knowledge of how it all fits together

The reason I'm asking about colour, is simply that this rooms furniture and general decor is a mix of dark brown and gloss black and thus I imagine the black Naomi unit would "fit" better. Having said that a white Candy Cab of any variety might at least bring a bit of variety to the room. But I figured I'd ask anyway :).

Question 3: Is there a Virtual On control panel for the Naomi? My ability to work google is somewhat lax it seems and I couldn't seem to find an answer to this, I could swear blind I saw one on YAJ once, but there is just as much chance I imagined the whole thing. If there was, and it didn't cost a small fortune (which it no doubt will) I'd get the necessary Naomi GDRom stuff for that, what with Virtual On being pure non stop awesome and all.

Question 4:Would having a SD Naomi as a driving cab be incredibly impractical? I don't know if this is a question that has popped up before, or what the general consensus is on stand up drivers. But I quite like them, sure they are no match for a proper sit down cab with proper car chair style stuff, but its better than nothing I guess. I was really wondering if you could make a situation with the wheel and pedals attached to the Naomi, but in a SD form factor so you sit on your stool or w/e to use it, this making a poor mans driving cab haha.

Question 5: going back to my earlier talk of Dreamcasts - Is it possible to rig a Dreamcast up to a cab in such a way as to make it switchable between using the Dreamcast or a PCB (or Equiv)? The reason I ask with this one is that I thought maybe I could stick the Dreamcast next to the cab (maybe even attach it to the wall) so it is easily accessible and what not and leave w/e proper arcade stuff I end up getting (Naomi Cart/GDROM/MVS/etc) inside the cab and have a switch to choose between them.

Question 6: How much is a Naomi likely to cost me? I know this can vary and I noticed that Tetsujin just sold one for £299, which I would have bought if I had the money right now. I'm basically planning ahead, find out how many organs I need to sell, then get selling and buy my first cab :D. Going back to question 2 and 2.1, would a black Naomi cost me considerably more that a normal white one? Or is it going to be same rough ballpark?.

I think that is probably enough questions for now, although I imagine as soon as I hit submit a load more will come to mind. I'm really sorry if these are questions you have answered a million times before, assuming I can make it down to IC09 (something I'd like to do), I will appologise in person :lol: .

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this, and double thanks to anyone who replies (even if its just to tell me to go away :( ).
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Re: List of potentially idiotic newbie questions

Post by thegreathopper »

If you want a Black Naomi cab I would suggest buying Pete's as it is not the sort of cab that comes up for sale often.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

1. Extremely easy. Front off, back off, remove cables, unbolt monitor, remove and rotate monitor, remove and rotate bezel, reassemble.
2. Don't know. You can spray any of them, but if there's one available you'll save yourself a shedload of work.
2.1. You got it.
3. Yes. They don't show up too often.
4. Utterly pointless. Standup Naomi drivers aren't great either, a sitdown wouldn't be at all comfortable.
5. It's doable.
6. Between £200 and £1500 :)

Small bit of advice. You don't want to be swapping control panels and rotating monitors regularly. It'll get old really quick. It might sound appealing to be able to play many different games on the same cab during a week but unless they're easily swappable you'll soon get fed up :)
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

I can do a padhack for the Dreamcast which will just plug into the control panel of the cab you get.

I've done a few for people on here with Naomi's & other cabs
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
DandySephy
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

yep, I can vouch for those
Sinjd
Legend

Post by Sinjd »

thegreathopper wrote:If you want a Black Naomi cab I would suggest buying Pete's as it is not the sort of cab that comes up for sale often.
Thank you for the response, found his post. It is a possibility, need to work out additional costs though (CP, SD conversion, getting it from St. Albans to Blackpool). Blacks are rare then? good to know. I might end up having to stick with white just for ease and cost, but it is good to see my options.
cools wrote:1. Extremely easy. Front off, back off, remove cables, unbolt monitor, remove and rotate monitor, remove and rotate bezel, reassemble.
2. Don't know. You can spray any of them, but if there's one available you'll save yourself a shedload of work.
2.1. You got it.
3. Yes. They don't show up too often.
4. Utterly pointless. Standup Naomi drivers aren't great either, a sitdown wouldn't be at all comfortable.
5. It's doable.
6. Between £200 and £1500 :)

Small bit of advice. You don't want to be swapping control panels and rotating monitors regularly. It'll get old really quick. It might sound appealing to be able to play many different games on the same cab during a week but unless they're easily swappable you'll soon get fed up :)
Thanks for the answers and advice :). I'd probably keep it as just sticks and buttons 90% of the time. I assume it would be possible to maybe hookup guns and sticks permanently and have a switching mechanism. I wouldn't really need this at first with the Dreamcast setup mind as I could just plug guns into the DC and use them on the screen. The tating would probably be the only thing I'd end up wanting to do with any regularity (unless I found the VO sticks haha) as I assume playing a Shmup on a non tated screen is some sort of blasphemy and will get me sent straight to video game hell along with all those unsold copies of ET :lol: .
dj_johnnyg wrote:I can do a padhack for the Dreamcast which will just plug into the control panel of the cab you get.
Awesome!! Will make life simpler :). How much would that set me back? (trying to add up my total, to see how much I need to get for my Kidney :lol: ).
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Trust me tate'ing/yoko'ing a Naomi on a regular basis is good for building up those arms :lol: Think of it as a work out ;)
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I think the DC lightgun will work on a naomi monitor anyway.

A sit-down is easily made by following the chop-down tutorial (you just cut 338mm off the bottom of the legs/covers & drill new holes for the bolts/wires).

If your using the DC just play your Shmups on a YOKO monitor with borders. TATEing the thing will just get very boring after a few goes - if you have room get a pair - one for each way.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Sinjd
Legend

Post by Sinjd »

thechop wrote:Trust me tate'ing/yoko'ing a Naomi on a regular basis is good for building up those arms :lol: Think of it as a work out ;)
:lol: , the question is though, do you need to have built up arms in the first place to do the tate'ing/yoko'ing :D
penrhos wrote:I think the DC lightgun will work on a naomi monitor anyway.

A sit-down is easily made by following the chop-down tutorial (you just cut 338mm off the bottom of the legs/covers & drill new holes for the bolts/wires).

If your using the DC just play your Shmups on a YOKO monitor with borders. TATEing the thing will just get very boring after a few goes - if you have room get a pair - one for each way.
You say "easily" but I'd be so worried about screwing it up and borking the cabinet :? . I technically have room for 2 (just) but I doubt my wallet could take it :lol:. You sure I won't end up in videogame hell for playing Shmups on a YOKO monitor? :P. But yeah I imagine that is what I'll do for now, as most of the time I'll be playing fighters and light gun games :).
DandySephy

Post by DandySephy »

penrhos wrote:I think the DC lightgun will work on a naomi monitor anyway.
Yep, I've used the official gun on HOTDII
DandySephy

Post by DandySephy »

Sinjd wrote:
thechop wrote:Trust me tate'ing/yoko'ing a Naomi on a regular basis is good for building up those arms :lol: Think of it as a work out ;)
:lol: , the question is though, do you need to have built up arms in the first place to do the tate'ing/yoko'ing :D
The monitor is very heavy, but I'm all bone and managed it fine. But then, I lift large pieces of glass all day, so it's all about how you handle it rather then brute strength. Easiest way is to pull it out, stick it on a table or something, then rotate it as you lift it back up
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

penrhos wrote:
Can someone link me to this tutorial? The only one I could find was a gallery of someone doing it on Sega Naomi.com, but to be honest it wasn't very clear or thorough...
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

The original I did was on KC and was lost when the site was pulled.

The one on Sega-naomi.com is for a USA version with the coinbox under the CP but the measurements are the same - I think there is a PDF version floating around that was created for the KC magazine.

Dismantle the Naomi

Measure the length of the coin chute (I'm 99% sure its 338mm)

Chop that length off the bottom of the legs using a mitre block & metal saw so its straight/level repeat for the leg-outers (I cut 2mm less off the legs to allow for fine tuning).

Use the feet and mark the two holes & drill - fit a bolt through one so you can refit the feet later.

use the offcuts to mark the 5 leg boltholes and drill new ones (I'm lazy and use a 13mm drill and big washers rather than try and cut slots).

use the offcuts to markup the holes for the wires that pass up the legs, drill a hole in each corner then use a dremmel or fine saw to make the hole.

file any rough edges and stick a couple of layers of insulating tape on wire holes to protect the cables from chaffing.

re-assemble.

OR IF YOU CAN GET THE LEGS TO ME - I'LL DO THEM FOR £40
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Well I have a dremel and a new hacksaw blade for my mitre box so I think I'll have a stab at it myself. Thanks Pen.

If anyone has the KC magazine PDF, let me know.
Lime-01R

Post by Lime-01R »

Sinjd wrote:Question 3: Is there a Virtual On control panel for the Naomi? My ability to work google is somewhat lax it seems and I couldn't seem to find an answer to this, I could swear blind I saw one on YAJ once, but there is just as much chance I imagined the whole thing. If there was, and it didn't cost a small fortune (which it no doubt will) I'd get the necessary Naomi GDRom stuff for that, what with Virtual On being pure non stop awesome and all.
Hiya, Im new to the site but I can post you a pic* of my Naomi standup running Virtual On with twinstick CP. The game is cart based so you wont need a GDRom, just Naomi motherboard and indeed doesnt show up too often from what people tell me. I paid a little over £300 a couple years ago for cart and CP which was a bargain at the time. Only recently got round to setting it up as I only had a Naomi2 MB with GDRom fitted and the screws to secure the cart were rounded... Lazy on my part but thanks to a friends help and his Naomi1 I now have it up and running like a treat.

*I'll get a pic online over the weekend when Im not at work :P
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

About time you signed up here - welcome to AO, Lime :D
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Sinjd
Legend

Post by Sinjd »

Lime-01R wrote:
Sinjd wrote:Question 3: Is there a Virtual On control panel for the Naomi? My ability to work google is somewhat lax it seems and I couldn't seem to find an answer to this, I could swear blind I saw one on YAJ once, but there is just as much chance I imagined the whole thing. If there was, and it didn't cost a small fortune (which it no doubt will) I'd get the necessary Naomi GDRom stuff for that, what with Virtual On being pure non stop awesome and all.
Hiya, Im new to the site but I can post you a pic* of my Naomi standup running Virtual On with twinstick CP. The game is cart based so you wont need a GDRom, just Naomi motherboard and indeed doesnt show up too often from what people tell me. I paid a little over £300 a couple years ago for cart and CP which was a bargain at the time. Only recently got round to setting it up as I only had a Naomi2 MB with GDRom fitted and the screws to secure the cart were rounded... Lazy on my part but thanks to a friends help and his Naomi1 I now have it up and running like a treat.

*I'll get a pic online over the weekend when Im not at work :P
AWESOME!! :D. Thanks!!
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

To tide you over till he gets around to it...
Crappy camera phone pic FTW
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Post by kernow »

is that phone book jamma?
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee
Sinjd
Legend

Post by Sinjd »

Chi wrote:To tide you over till he gets around to it...
*pic*
Crappy camera phone pic FTW
:o :D :) :| :( :cry: .. i want it so bad :cry: .

Once my cabs are sorted, I WILL track one down :D.