4-8 Way switchable joysticks

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Mng70
Please Continue...
Initials: NIG

4-8 Way switchable joysticks

Post by Mng70 » July 29th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Hi guys

I was wanting to purchase a pair of joysticks for the Egret II that will allow me to have quick manual control over switching from 4-8 way and vice versa. I've seen a few types sold at places such as Ultimarc etc. Has anyone used these types of sticks? Are they really that easy to switch between 4 and 8 way and do they play 4 way games accurately? I believe the joysticks in the Egret II are LS40 types? Therefore are there any switchable sticks out there that use the same mounting as the Egret II?

Any advice from you guys is much appreciated.

cheers

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: 4-8 Way switchable joysticks

Post by pubjoe » July 29th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Most arcade joysticks can be switched by adjusting the restrictor gate at the bottom. Siemitsu and Sanwa each have their own way of doing it.

Siemitsu uses this (dark blue part) on the LS32:

The LS40 comes fitted with an alternative gate that I know nothing about. I don't know if the above part would fit on an LS40.

Mng70
Please Continue...

Post by Mng70 » July 29th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Are there any joysticks where it's as easy as turning a dial to switch between 4 and 8 way? When using emulation it's quite often that I flick between a game optimised for 4 way and then the next is 8 way.

emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic » July 29th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Mng70 wrote: Are there any joysticks where it's as easy as turning a dial to switch between 4 and 8 way?
Yes, there used to be plenty of these around. Now I can only found the IL Mag Stik, and I'm not sure you're going to be happy with that. You've not written where in the world you're located, but let's assume Europe. You can find Mag Stiks here: http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/M ... stick.html"
Mng70 wrote: When using emulation it's quite often that I flick between a game optimised for 4 way and then the next is 8 way.
If you're only using emulation in your cabinet, you can interface your buttons and stick using an Ultra Stick 360 (from Ultimarc). It has a built in interface for your joystick that's programmable to act as either 8/4/64/2-way depending on what game you load up in your emulator. You won't need to touch anything. It can also be gotten from http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/U ... stick.html" or directly from Ultimarc.com.

Another automatic switching option, but a mechanical one is the Servo Stik: http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/S ... stick.html" which is a modified SANWA JLW that comes with a motorized switch, running on USB power.

And finally, you can get an E-Liminator, that will just skip all 8-way moves you happen to make with your 8-way, and "intelligently" interprets them into a 4-way mode without a physical restictor: http://www.arcadeshop.de/Encoder-E-Limitator_1049.html"

Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Post by Andypc » July 29th, 2014, 7:59 pm

“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab

Mng70
Please Continue...

Post by Mng70 » July 29th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I've just realised I have the Sanwa sticks in my cab and the YouTube video Andypc provided should deal with my issue. Cheers guys