Candy cabs - How does one restore the plastic's brightness?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
ChuChuFlamingo

Re: Candy cabs - How does one restore the plastic's brightne

Post by ChuChuFlamingo » June 18th, 2014, 8:00 pm

It is true it will yellow back in time, but i've heard if you put a sealer on it, it prevents it. Oxygen is the main component that makes it yellow, heat and uv can also yellow as well.

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » March 10th, 2015, 11:17 am

rjosal wrote:
copados33 wrote:What coin door? what are you talking about?, I have never tried to retrobright any of my cabs.

And yes, yellowing is caused by the anti-flame compound found on ABS and plastic based paints.
I mentioned doors because even on a plastic cab, they are usually metal, and usually yellow just the same as the rest of the cab. So buying a non-plastic cab doesn't guarantee you won't see yellowing. I've retr0brighted a few things, and some of my friends have too, all with great success. From my experience I haven't seen any negative side effects, but I would really like to hear about everyone else's experiences.
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 79#p418460"

actown
eBay: 15khz
Initials: GMB

Post by actown » March 18th, 2015, 6:54 pm

I've used Vinyl Dye on cabs before with excellent results. It does depends on the plastic since it actually seeps into it and, well, dyes it. Certain plastics don't take or require light sanding, but when it's done it looks great.