Blast City wont turn on (nope, its not the door switch)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
hedorah

Blast City wont turn on (nope, its not the door switch)

Post by hedorah »

O.K. I have a bit of a head scratcher here. I have 2 blast cities, and recently moved across state. Both units were working before the move, now one of them does not. Everything physically checks out fine, and all the wires appear to be connected. However, when I attempt to turn on the blast city in question I get absolutely nothing, no monitor pop, no marquee light, no psu fan noise... absolutely nothing. Since I have 2 blasts, I figured troubleshooting would be quite easy. All the parts I exchanged from the non working blast work fine in the 2nd blast unit, and all the working parts from the 2nd blast continue to deliver no response in the non working unit. So far the parts I have swapped and determined not to have any issues are as follows: PSU, IO board, door switch.

Before I swap out the monitor, and rip out all the wiring, does anyone know if there are any fuses outside of the PSU unit? Also, does anyone know if the monitor is required to send a working signal before the PSU powers up? The fact that a confirmed working tie strapped door switch and a confirmed working PSU doesn't generate anything at all confuses me.

:wtf:
ChuChuFlamingo

Re: Blast City wont turn on (nope, its not the door switch)

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

Have you made sure the neckboard is firmly attached?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Best bet would be to get a multimeter and check the voltages. Carefully. ;)

The schematic is here, there doesn't appear to be an additional fuse.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/b/b9 ... iring2.jpg"
Paladin
Please Continue...
Initials: BAA

Post by Paladin »

Have you tested the main power cord, how about the power switch? Are the cabs plugged into different household outlets? Perhaps one outlet isn't supplying enough power for some reason.
hedorah

Post by hedorah »

Thanks for the replies guys, couple of quick follow ups:
ChuChuFlamingo wrote:Have you made sure the neckboard is firmly attached?
I have examined the neckboard, but I have not checked to see if its firmly attached, I will try to do that this evening. But even if it was not attached, shouldnt I still get some kind of reaction from the PSU or marquee light?
Paladin wrote:Have you tested the main power cord, how about the power switch? Are the cabs plugged into different household outlets? Perhaps one outlet isn't supplying enough power for some reason.

Yes I have used the same power cord from the working blast, and both PSU's, so its not the cord or switch. I have tried multiple outlets that all work on the one blast but continue to not work on the other. But I cant specifically rule the outlets out as I have had strange power issues at other households.
yosai wrote:Best bet would be to get a multimeter and check the voltages. Carefully. ;)

The schematic is here, there doesn't appear to be an additional fuse.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/b/b9 ... iring2.jpg"
Yah thats probably the next step, but also the most involved, so I was procrastinating on doing it for as long as possible :awe: Thank you for pointing me towards the schematic!
codecrank

Post by codecrank »

if you look at the diagram, the 110v circuit does this

Code: Select all

PSU -> kill switch -> power switch -> cab i/o -> PSU ( -> PSU sound amps , not pictured )
                                              -> monitor
                                              -> lights
so grab that multimeter ;)

the cab io has no electronic components , purely circuit traces and connectors.
majors

Post by majors »

hedorah wrote: So far the parts I have swapped and determined not to have any issues are as follows: PSU, IO board, door switch.
I feel you pain.

So you swapped the whole rear power unit? Maybe that connector on the base that the PSU plugs into is not straight or dirty?
Majors -=- Wedoca '18
hedorah

Post by hedorah »

majors wrote:
hedorah wrote: So far the parts I have swapped and determined not to have any issues are as follows: PSU, IO board, door switch.
I feel you pain.

So you swapped the whole rear power unit? Maybe that connector on the base that the PSU plugs into is not straight or dirty?
Yep the whole slide out box unit was swapped out and it works fine in the other blast. I had previously thought about the connector maybe having a dirty or loose connection, so I cleaned it, and dismounted it from its bracket so I could just physically plug it in to the PSU unit and guarantee a solid connection. Nothing.

Looks like its time for the multimeter this weekend.