Advice wanted - Preparing Blast City for Paint Shop

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Detroit44
Please Continue...
eBay: hurst649

Advice wanted - Preparing Blast City for Paint Shop

Post by Detroit44 »

I thought I would start a thread to see if there are any war stories I can learn from.

I am in the process of disassembling my Blast City cabinet in order to take the two main body parts to a local auto paint shop. My goal is to have a fully restored and cleaned unit upon completion. I have the Blast City manual and I am being extra careful about taking notes about where each piece came from as I remove it from the machine. My main front body has a 1.5 inch thin crack in the front right under where the control panel would rest. I plan to have the body shop fix the crack (any chips) and repaint the entire outside the same gloss white (don't know the actual color). I will need to remove the Blast City stickers. To remove stickers from my other cab, I use a heat gun. That doesn't seem like the right idea here given the gel nature of the cab frame. I am afraid it would melt the cab coating. I know I could probably paint this myself, but I have a buddy at the auto shop who is helping me out.

I am wondering how to best work with the speaker covers. I know they are glued in. Seems like it would be best to leave them attached to the machine and paint around them. One of the covers is already pushed in a bit at the top. I would planning on using a glue gun to reattach it prior to bringing it for painting. Is this a good approach?

Any comments or lessons learned from other cab painting experiences is greatly appreciated. For example, any specific instructions I should consider telling the paint shop? Best way to remove Blast City labels? Do I remove the speaker covers or just tape them off and paint around them? All comments are welcomed. I plan to post pics of the project upon completion. :D Much thanks!
hedorah

Re: Advice wanted - Preparing Blast City for Paint Shop

Post by hedorah »

I ended up doing this exact same thing myself a few months back. It ended up being pretty straight forward outside of a few stripped screws. And yes I would leave the speaker grills intact. Just tell the body shop to mask them off when painting.

Also there is a blast city teardown thread on here that has step by step instructions and pics. It was instrumental in getting mine torn down and rebuilt after I got it back from the body shop.

By the way I had a crack in the exact same place. Not sure if it's due to kids sitting on the CP or if the blast is notoriously weak in that spot.

Good luck with your teardown :)
Cageman
Please Continue...
eBay: Cageman007

Post by Cageman »

I wrote that teardown tutorial ;-):

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 50#p194650"

My Blast had the exact same crack as yours. It seems to be a weak spot of this cab. I did not do anything about it, as I suspected it to return after painting. It does not bother me, as it is not in plain sight.

I did remove the speaker grills prior to painting (mine went to a paint shop as well). I tried using hot glue to reattach them, but that does not work. I ended up using an epoxy glue (gives you more time to properly position and support the bracket while drying); works perfect!!
Detroit44
Please Continue...

Post by Detroit44 »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :awe: Thanks guys. Man, I am glad I asked. I learned long ago, one of the hardest parts about life is - "you don't know, what you don't know".

I really appreciate you taking the time to put together the tear down thread.

Excellent forum stuff!
nem

Post by nem »

That tear down is superb

So what about the side art? Whenever I've removed a decal, it's more or less been ruined in the process. Either the decals stretch or warp, or if they're intact, they won't stick on any more. Is there a trick involved? Paint around the decal? :?
Detroit44
Please Continue...

Post by Detroit44 »

I am planning on removing my side-art as it is in real bad shape. I have never been sucessful at removing side-art (with a heat gun) and reapplying it (for all the reasons you noted). Sean at MCS used to make replacement side-art. He has had to take a leave of absence (hopefully temorary) from MCS. When he returns, he can print replacement decals.
thomj
Just a few screws loose
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

mask it if it's in good shape