Blast City Bass Fishing cabs...

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
jayducky
Initials: JWD

Re: Blast City Bass Fishing cabs...

Post by jayducky »

hedorah wrote:As far as I know Matsu will not charge a premium for a blast with no burn in. He charges a flat rate and if it's less than stellar you ask if he can come down on price.

As far as cab choice I agree with the others, it really depends on what type of games you want to play. If it's all low rez stuff the egret 2 will put out better image quality. The problem is finding an egret 2 in 2011 in excellent shape and no burn in. That's going to be tricky unless you get one from a private seller.
Do you think Matsu could come through with an Egret 2?
STEP 1: Put a hole in the box.
Does anyone have an EGRET 2 they would like to sell? West coast USA............anyone??
hedorah

Post by hedorah »

He had a couple in march. So anything is possible.
jayducky
Initials: JWD

Post by jayducky »

Yeah, I emailed him today so, hopefully he will respond.
STEP 1: Put a hole in the box.
Does anyone have an EGRET 2 they would like to sell? West coast USA............anyone??
kamex
Please Continue...

Post by kamex »

Wall of text go...

Here are my experiences with the thegameroom:

One cab that I got from Ken was an Astro City. I was told the monitor was in good shape with only light burn. It arrived just as expected - well packaged, the MS8 monitor had only slight burn with the most notable being lifebar burn at the top (only really visible on light colors - skies and such) and some minor convergence and geometry issues - nothing really worth messing with, only a few dings on the cab itself. It was kinda dirty on the inside and had some yellowing but cleaning (and if you want, some retrobright) fixed most of that up. One speaker seems weaker than the other, but part of that could just be my ears (and Astros aren't known for great speakers from what I can tell). All locks were there and worked. The CP, door to the psu and pcb area, and the coin mech door locks all appeared to be original and the Sega keys were included. The door to the coinbox has possibly a bit newer looking keys, MAVERICK brand - this could have been replaced at some point. In all, I was pleased and had no complaints whatsoever.

As for the Blast City, I was told that the monitor had very minimal burn and was in nice shape. I made sure that it was an original Nanao monitor, and I was told it was - the MS2930 (the manual sync trisync - I did not care about automatic syncing because flipping the dipswitches isn't an issue for me). It was packaged pretty well. The cab itself is in good shape, some dings, scrapes, maybe a little sunfading here and there (I'm pretty certain there is some on the coin-sticker, the rest might be fine) and yellowing but still pretty good. CP was original and in decent shape but the buttons were nasty (looked like they had been chewed on, lol) but those are easy enough to replace.

The monitor was the model I was told. Burn-in was pretty minor. Convergence was bad at the corners and pretty awful in one corner in particular (heard this is the norm with blasts, but damn was it bad compared to my Astro). I was able to correct it to a degree with magnets, but I gave up because it wasn't worth any additional effort. The tube itself seems to have a pretty bad issue: one corner is tinted green and one half or so of the screen is tinted red. It is not a magnetism issue as I've degaussed it many times with an external wand: the best guess I have based on suggestions here is that it is damage to the shadowmask. I do not know if it was there before it was shipped or if it was damaged in shipping. Could be something else, but whatever it is, I have no idea how to fix it and it is pretty irritating if you have good eyes. The speakers are great.

In both cases shipping was prompt.

If you don't want to mess with geometry or convergence, I'd suggest asking for a photo of a test grid to get an idea of how those attributes are on the monitor.
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

hedorah wrote:Ken rarely sends pictures of the cab you will actually get, which is one of my all time problems with him.
Really? When I dealt with him the only pics he sent me were of the actual cab. But I guess mine was custom-ish (I had him put non-standard button colors since he was out of green/pink) so it would be difficult to send pics of a different cab without me noticing.