Starter for Astro?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Post Reply
Andrrreas
Posts: 235
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Sweden

Starter for Astro?

Post by Andrrreas » March 4th, 2011, 6:52 pm

I need a starter for a NAC fl part, anyone knows if this model will work?
http://www.leshoparcade.com/fiche_produ ... tarter%20n"éon%20TOSHIBA%20FG1E
Last edited by Andrrreas on March 4th, 2011, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
Posts: 2355
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 11:29 am
Location: near Düsseldorf, Germany
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Re: Starter for Astro 2?

Post by Akuma » March 4th, 2011, 7:00 pm

??? No, no, no - you need a starter for a NAC ;)

User avatar
maxio098ui
Please Continue...
Posts: 209
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Holland
eBay: maxio098ui

Re: Starter for Astro 2?

Post by maxio098ui » March 4th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I just replaced the starter socket. made life so much easier :awe:
The screws used to seal up this cart are wood screws. Nobody is going to waste good wood screws on a bootleg, they'd just use cheap electronic screws instead.

Andrrreas
Posts: 235
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Starter for Astro 2?

Post by Andrrreas » March 4th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Akuma wrote:??? No, no, no - you need a starter for a NAC ;)
Ok! Changed the text!

Also wondering if i could use a starter from a naomi or a blast city for my nac?

User avatar
Casey120
The Fluffer
Posts: 1028
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Location: The Netherlands
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by Casey120 » March 4th, 2011, 10:03 pm

My Aero also uses the FG-1E starter , probably like any Japanese cab using a 43 cm 15 watt TL , there are some on Ebay now if you search for FG-1E .
I think replacing it with a Euro starter would be fine also .

Andrrreas
Posts: 235
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by Andrrreas » March 4th, 2011, 10:25 pm

So maybe this starter is a standard model for all sega cabs.

User avatar
Casey120
The Fluffer
Posts: 1028
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Location: The Netherlands
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by Casey120 » March 4th, 2011, 10:32 pm

I think it's the standard starter for Japanese 15 watt 44cm TL Lightning .

User avatar
NASguy
Posts: 353
Joined: March 4th, 2011, 3:37 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by NASguy » March 5th, 2011, 1:13 am

I just went through this same debacle. I sourced the starter online, but it would have been around 20 bucks after shipping to get it.

I bought a new flo-light fixture today for a 15 long bulb (same as in the NAC) for 12 bucks (with bulb) and dropped it into the cab after taking out the old one. Fits perfect, the old fixture is still in a box, and no more starters to buy ever.

Well worth it, and looks great all lit up.

leonk
Posts: 43
Joined: February 24th, 2011, 7:25 pm
Location:

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by leonk » March 5th, 2011, 2:50 pm

NASguy wrote:I just went through this same debacle. I sourced the starter online, but it would have been around 20 bucks after shipping to get it.

I bought a new flo-light fixture today for a 15 long bulb (same as in the NAC) for 12 bucks (with bulb) and dropped it into the cab after taking out the old one. Fits perfect, the old fixture is still in a box, and no more starters to buy ever.

Well worth it, and looks great all lit up.
I did something similar, except that I removed the starter / ballast from the NAC, and in its place installed the small circuit board that now comes with these lights. I reused the original bulb holder, wire, and frame. A bulb was free with the 12$ fixture from Home Depot. :)

User avatar
NASguy
Posts: 353
Joined: March 4th, 2011, 3:37 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by NASguy » March 5th, 2011, 7:44 pm

leonk wrote:
NASguy wrote:I just went through this same debacle. I sourced the starter online, but it would have been around 20 bucks after shipping to get it.

I bought a new flo-light fixture today for a 15 long bulb (same as in the NAC) for 12 bucks (with bulb) and dropped it into the cab after taking out the old one. Fits perfect, the old fixture is still in a box, and no more starters to buy ever.

Well worth it, and looks great all lit up.
I did something similar, except that I removed the starter / ballast from the NAC, and in its place installed the small circuit board that now comes with these lights. I reused the original bulb holder, wire, and frame. A bulb was free with the 12$ fixture from Home Depot. :)
Yeah that would be a great fix as well. My electronics know-how is limited, so I just pulled the top casing off the new fixture and screwed it down to the metal using the same holes as the old one. How did you wire this up, though? And did you have to rip the square block thing (the ballast?) off the old fixture? If this just involves stripping some wires and splicing, I might be able to do it.

All I did was cut the two wires off the old fixture (the ones going into the cab) and tied them neatly up and removed it.

But regardless, to anyone reading this, get rid of that old starter, the thing is like 20+ year old light tech from what I've been told.

User avatar
imjasonmh
Posts: 19
Joined: August 7th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
eBay: JMHenriksen

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by imjasonmh » December 9th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I'm trying to replace the light fixture in my Blast City. But I am a total noob. Will this method work for me as well? Is there a particular model of fixture I should buy? Can it be picked up at home depot, lowes, etc.? Thanks!

User avatar
Casey120
The Fluffer
Posts: 1028
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Location: The Netherlands
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Re: Starter for Astro?

Post by Casey120 » December 9th, 2011, 5:14 pm

If you just need a starter contact STV here on the forum or on his website :

https://sites.google.com/site/japandeal ... pare-parts"

He probably has all the parts you need !

Post Reply