System 22 Rom swap possible?

PCB problems and fixes
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
Angry_Radish
System 22 Rom swap possible?

Post by Angry_Radish » October 10th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Hi all,
Sorry to get right to it in my first post, I was directed here from the klov forums and I'm hoping someone here may have an answer for me..
Is it possible for me to swap roms on my Ridge Racer and change it up to a Rave Racer, or would I have to swap the entire boardset out?

I realize there may be some wiring involved as Ridge Racer doesn't have a "change view" button, but can anyone think of other reasons this wouldn't work?
Has someone done this already?

Also, I suppose while I'm posting here, can anyone tell me the differences between the EU cabinets and the one I have?
(please note, the photo was JUST after I got it and before cleaning it up and getting it running :) )

Thanks in advance!

capcomguru

Re: System 22 Rom swap possible?

Post by capcomguru » October 10th, 2008, 10:22 pm

According to MAWS, Rave Racer and Ridge Racer do not share common roms. In other words, Ridge is NOT and upgrade for Rave.

Yes, the rom boards are identical however there are different protection elements between the two. They protection IC's appear to be dumped (according to the mame romset), but its going to be a total pain in the butt getting them burned right.

Best bet would probably be swap the entire board, instead of attempting an upgrade.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/ridgeraj"
http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/raveracw"

anks
Re: System 22 Rom swap possible?

Post by anks » October 10th, 2008, 11:57 pm

You dont need to swap the entire lot you just need the rom board if i remember correctly. Im sure it was Parris who did this with his and im also sure hes the man to ask.

anks