Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

PCB problems and fixes
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 12:21 am

just got this game...it wont sync with the screens in any of my cabs....3 nanaos and 1 niemen

no amount of hold adjusting even comes close

anybody know anything about this?

i really wanna play this game

i have heard others have trouble with this game in an e2 as well....but that it worked in an older woody cab

what gives?

ive never had a game that just wouldnt sync at all....

and now ive been informed that this game has a suicide battery :shock:

but the game seems to be working....although the only thing i can really make out is the startup screen with the color bars and the game completely loses sync from there...

is this the suicide battery?
on the loose

dreadzone
Re: Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

Post by dreadzone » March 9th, 2010, 8:13 am

No it is not the suicide battery. It's an issue with the video ground.
I notice some world rally pcb have video ground not wired.
You just need to connect the jamma video ground to the jamma main ground and it's done with your sync issue.

DZ

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » March 9th, 2010, 10:08 am

yeah re checked it in my e2 just the other day and nothing ,only scambled video !!worst in the old woody cab

i must look at what dz is saying !
@jonny5 where's the sucide battery ,never heard this before!

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 11:50 am

i have been contacted by a member on shmups who told me about the suicide battery....there board has the exact same fault as mine

and i even found a resurrected board in an ended french ebay sale for a resureccted one with a battery holder...it seems from the placement that the battery is in the rectangular case that says do not remove in the centre of the board

i have emailed gaelco to confirm this...but the ebay auction gives me hope that this is fixable

now just to test what DZ said, i just run a line from video ground to main ground (with a wire?) and yoou say this should fix it?

i will try this when i get home

thanx for that info

it was cheap either way....i jus wanna play itt :(
Last edited by jonny5 on March 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
on the loose

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig » March 9th, 2010, 11:53 am

cheers , never really looked at that too much!! but did notice the do not remove and surpisingly i actually left it alone! :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"

dreadzone

Post by dreadzone » March 9th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Some pictures I took a few years ago about the battery when I tried to swapped it :

ImageImageImageImage

If the board has suicided, you will have a "Coprocessor NOT READY" message on boot screen (fourth picture) and the game will crash when you start to play. But no sync issue.

Until now you had to send the pcb back to Gaelco to get it resurrected. But now, there is a method to resurrect it yourself.

About the sync issue, you will notice on the first picture that pin 14 (video ground) is not wired on edge connector. I had to wire that pin to pins 1-2 (main ground) to get the sync back.

DZ

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 2:05 pm

very interesting.....because my game definitely goes past the boot screen and gets in game

i will try this as soon as i get home...man, if this works i will be forever in your debt :D

its gonna be a long day at work :awe:

silly question though....if the video ground isnt tied in on these PCB's, how do any of them work?

the seller tells me it definitely displayed when he tested it prior to shipping

i really hope it is the ground issue as you say....mainly because i can fix that myself in 5 minutes...if its a resurrection thats needed im gonna have to pay somebody to do that for me :?
on the loose

Gilles54

Post by Gilles54 » March 9th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I am the one who sold the pcb to jonny.

It was playing great in a old 'compact line' cabinet and i retested it before shipping on a $15 vogatek supergun.

I ve never had any issue with that board. From what you say it doesnt sounds like a problem with the suicide battery. I would check what DZ pointed out first.

slapaham
Fits in the back of a Skoda

Post by slapaham » March 9th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Interesting... I think my World Rally has this problem but I always assumed the PCB was buggared - I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread! :)
Getting out the game... Buy my cabs!!

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 2:35 pm

well, from what dreadzone has presented, its certainly looking like its the ground issue, as im not getting any error and its just playing blind with the garbled picture...

his pic shows the error caused by the dead battery, and the pciture is not garbled like what i have....

if this works i think you will have just helped like 4 people(that i know of now) get there boards working, as we all seem to have the same issue, but not the battery issue with the error

im also interested to see what response i get from gaelco...emailed them last night :awe:

another question....if it is the grounds at fault, why would it work on some setups and not others?

if there was no video ground wouldnt this present itself on all setups?

also, would you recommend if it is the ground that i connect the ground on my harness or the PCB?

and i if i connect these grounds on my harness, will this have any effect on other games?
on the loose

dreadzone

Post by dreadzone » March 9th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Silly question though....if the video ground isnt tied in on these PCB's, how do any of them work?
From what I saw , some of them have the video ground wired and others not. Can't say why.

DZ
Last edited by dreadzone on March 9th, 2010, 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 4:21 pm

dreadzone wrote:
Silly question though....if the video ground isnt tied in on these PCB's, how do any of them work?
From what I saw , some of them have the video ground wired and others not. Can't say why.

DZ
any ideas why this would work on some setups and not others? might some setups have the grounds linked in the harness and others not?

this is killing me...im sitting at work bored as hell, and i just want to go home and try this out.... :evil:
on the loose

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig » March 9th, 2010, 4:25 pm

tick ....... tock ....... tick ... tock

:awe:

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 4:40 pm

geotrig wrote:tick ....... tock ....... tick ... tock

:awe:
u at home? test yours :awe:

....with the time difference you will get home before me anyways...try this right away and post back :awe:
on the loose

dreadzone

Post by dreadzone » March 9th, 2010, 5:15 pm

His pic shows the error caused by the dead battery, and the picture is not garbled like what i have....
In fact, the picture shows the boot screen of a working pcb but with a suicided one you will get the same screen with "Coprocessor NOT READY" instead of "Coprocessor OK".
As I say, the demo mode plays ok and you can add credits but the game crashes a few seconds after you start to play.
any ideas why this would work on some setups and not others? might some setups have the grounds linked in the harness and others not?
I guess so. The pcb was working great in my old wood cabinet but not in my New Astro City.
also, would you recommend if it is the ground that i connect the ground on my harness or the PCB?
and i if i connect these grounds on my harness, will this have any effect on other games?
You can do both. As I had the same issue with my Sega System16 boards and I didn't want to modify my pcb nor my jamma harness, I made a jamma to jamma adaptor I can use especially for these boards.

DZ

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 5:25 pm

ok...well mine doesnt seem to crash...the game starts, i hear some select screens....a race starts...i can hear the race noises, and i can hear when i get gameover and it cycles back to the title

oh man....not knowing is killing me :awe: ....i am almost positive from what you say that its not suicided and the ground fix will get it running properly....but here i sit at work twiddling my thumbs :evil: :lol:

4 1/2 hours to go :awe:
on the loose

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 9th, 2010, 11:07 pm

dreadzone, my good man....i could kiss you...

you were 100% right...just tested it before i broke out the soldering iron, and tying the video ground to jamma ground fixed me right up....

i will post pics when im done

and pics....i just used a little bit of wire and soldered to the jamma header on the PCB...didnt want to alter my harness

picture is perfect now....

so get out your PCB's and soldering iron and get playing on this :D

once again huge thanx to all who offered info on this, especially dreadzone....you are my savior dude....seriously!!
on the loose

dreadzone

Post by dreadzone » March 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

Nice to hear everything is ok now. Enjoy the game. :)

DZ

jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 » March 10th, 2010, 1:49 pm

its pretty fun...steering is quite different compared to neo drift out....and its a lot harder too :awe:
on the loose

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig » March 10th, 2010, 2:00 pm

needs a score thread !!