STV woes part 1 – STV motherboard problems.

PCB problems and fixes
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate » March 18th, 2009, 8:00 am

What is it with STV hardware? I have owned three STV mobo’s and each one has had a different complication, some I've solved, some I've not. The most recent one I have acquired (simply because of problems with the previous) has problems itself. It crashes! The system loads up just fine, but as soon as a credit is inserted and the game begins (like on character select screens etc) it crashes. Anyone know what this problem may be and how to solve it?

Neo'nate

Re: STV woes part 1 – STV motherboard problems.

Post by Neo'nate » March 18th, 2009, 4:04 pm

No one on here a STV aficionado?

MrSporty

Post by MrSporty » March 18th, 2009, 7:02 pm

By the sounds of it , most people have had similar problems and are staying well clear :P

I must admit , my own mobo was a clunker that i managed to fix up by swapping out one of the TSOP drams from an old sega saturn so their track record doesn't seem too crash hot.

MrS

penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos » March 19th, 2009, 12:19 am

I've had a couple and both had odd faults - I sold them on ebay and the carts on here.

ebay ones are too unreliable.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).

Neo'nate

Post by Neo'nate » March 19th, 2009, 11:43 am

I think I've come to the conclusion that the hardware is unreliable! ebay or not!

channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac » March 20th, 2009, 6:54 pm

What do you get when you run the hardware tests?

What happens when you run the test on the slave processor?

I had a board here for repair that locked up when testing the slave processor. If you pushed down on the chip it would pass the test and run fine. The chip needed resoldering.

Those damn SH2 CPUs have some horribly fine pins that are a bitch to solder and VERY easy to break loose from their solder by flexing the board.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!

Neo'nate

Post by Neo'nate » March 21st, 2009, 10:06 am

Cheers mate, I'll give that route a go, thats a route that TBH I havent yet tried, so cheers again. Two heads are always better than one . .

ROBO84

Post by ROBO84 » March 21st, 2009, 3:00 pm

I had one which would freeze up but the music would keep going, turned out to be the +5v, I did read somewere that they do pull a fair bit of power so could just be that!

penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos » March 21st, 2009, 3:10 pm

One of mine was voltage fussy the other did the Invalid cart message even if it was OK.

You have got the green pcb fitted in one of the white connectors? I know that can cause issues if its missing.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).

MangledLeg

Post by MangledLeg » March 22nd, 2009, 3:04 am

I've been thinking of adding STV to my wish-list, (mainly because I really liked the Saturn I think, but it looks like some STV cart aren't all that expensive and it might be fun to pick one up... but reading this thread has got me thinking that it might be too difficult to find working hardware, especially since I'm so new to the PCB scene! Is it really that difficult to get working hardware? If so, props out to those of you out there who can troubleshoot and fix the damn things, I think that's awesome :)

MrSporty

Post by MrSporty » March 22nd, 2009, 10:13 pm

Its not that hard to get a working STV, the problem lies in the fact that it's not that hard to get a flakey one either :(

From my own experience , the SH2 cpu thats located in one of the corners of the pcb seems to be the one that takes a bit of stick at times. Sega obviously never designed these PCB's to be thrown around be cack handed operators and as such , there are no higher profile components surrounding it so if the boards are ever stacked or badly stored , the fine pitch TQFP always gets its poor legs hammered.

That said, get a decent one and there are quite a few gems on the STV.

MrS

channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac » April 4th, 2009, 1:06 am

penrhos wrote:One of mine was voltage fussy the other did the Invalid cart message even if it was OK.

You have got the green pcb fitted in one of the white connectors? I know that can cause issues if its missing.
That's what the board did that I resoldered the slave CPU on... invalid cart messages. Resoldered the CPU off in the corner and it's now working great.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!