Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

PCB problems and fixes
User avatar
MitsurugiW
Posts: 151
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW
Contact:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by MitsurugiW » June 2nd, 2015, 10:51 pm

GriswaldoBS wrote:Are those all the roms you will need or do you still need to provide the graphics and sound files as well? I ask because the naming convention seems slightly different from mame.
The avalaunch set above has all files needed for the games. Remember that the files need to be formatted for use with the flashes on this device so dropping MAME files in will not work. You need to use the converted files.

TEASER: Auto reset info forthcoming perhaps.

User avatar
aoiddr
Posts: 48
Joined: February 7th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by aoiddr » June 2nd, 2015, 11:05 pm

MitsurugiW wrote:TEASER: Auto reset info forthcoming perhaps.
*fingers crossed*

GriswaldoBS
Posts: 18
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 4:07 am
Location: USA

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by GriswaldoBS » June 2nd, 2015, 11:17 pm

MitsurugiW wrote:
GriswaldoBS wrote:Are those all the roms you will need or do you still need to provide the graphics and sound files as well? I ask because the naming convention seems slightly different from mame.
The avalaunch set above has all files needed for the games. Remember that the files need to be formatted for use with the flashes on this device so dropping MAME files in will not work. You need to use the converted files.

TEASER: Auto reset info forthcoming perhaps.
Okay thanks! Is the 2nd batch shipped yet? I haven't seen anything in my e-mail but don't recall when the date was pushed back to. Thanks again.

User avatar
MitsurugiW
Posts: 151
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW
Contact:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by MitsurugiW » June 2nd, 2015, 11:25 pm

GriswaldoBS wrote:
MitsurugiW wrote:
GriswaldoBS wrote:Are those all the roms you will need or do you still need to provide the graphics and sound files as well? I ask because the naming convention seems slightly different from mame.
The avalaunch set above has all files needed for the games. Remember that the files need to be formatted for use with the flashes on this device so dropping MAME files in will not work. You need to use the converted files.

TEASER: Auto reset info forthcoming perhaps.
Okay thanks! Is the 2nd batch shipped yet? I haven't seen anything in my e-mail but don't recall when the date was pushed back to. Thanks again.
Nope. Rest or 1st batch was delayed to send out the reinforcement pcbs with them. 2nd batch begins shipping in 2 to 3 weeks.

GriswaldoBS
Posts: 18
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 4:07 am
Location: USA

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by GriswaldoBS » June 2nd, 2015, 11:27 pm

Ah, my number fell within 1st batch and I assumed they were going out with the 2nd which is why I asked. When is the rest of the 1st going out then or is it indeed going out with the 2nd? Thanks!

User avatar
MitsurugiW
Posts: 151
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW
Contact:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by MitsurugiW » June 2nd, 2015, 11:47 pm

GriswaldoBS wrote:Ah, my number fell within 1st batch and I assumed they were going out with the 2nd which is why I asked. When is the rest of the 1st going out then or is it indeed going out with the 2nd? Thanks!
As soon as the reinforcement pcbs arrive the rest of batch 1 will depart. Expected this week.

User avatar
mrjamma
Posts: 57
Joined: March 3rd, 2015, 4:32 am
Location:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by mrjamma » June 3rd, 2015, 12:40 am

Hey mits/darksoft

Just wondering if anything shipped from here on, will be packaged any different to safeguard the LCD buttons and pcb pins?

I noticed the boxes appear very soft (all look ripped or squashed in a lot of photos), and a lot of damage occurring to them due to postal services, resulting in damaged pins and mainly, broken LCD push buttons.

Thanks

User avatar
aoiddr
Posts: 48
Joined: February 7th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by aoiddr » June 3rd, 2015, 1:00 am

In my case, my box arrived with no damage at all. But I did notice the items were a bit loosely packed in the box. If I had any suggestion (aside from thicker boxes), it would be to add additional bubble wrap or packing peanuts to help keep the items from shaking around in the boxes.

User avatar
MitsurugiW
Posts: 151
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW
Contact:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by MitsurugiW » June 3rd, 2015, 3:26 am

I suggested stronger boxes and also that the boxes be packed tighter. The worst thing you can do is send a box with a bunch of negative space. You are better off packing fragile things very tightly rather than loosely. Shifting in the box is the danger.

Hopefully this issue is resolved from here on out. Smaller boxes might be enough to fix the problem by itself.

User avatar
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm
Location: Sweden
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by monouchi » June 3rd, 2015, 6:52 am

MitsurugiW wrote:
TEASER: Auto reset info forthcoming perhaps.
:awe:

User avatar
gojira54
Posts: 15
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 10:07 am
Location: London

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by gojira54 » June 3rd, 2015, 7:36 am

aoiddr wrote:Per a post in the old thread, I went ahead and ordered one of these micro SD card extension cables off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261894745478?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT) so that the card can be easily removed without having to open up the case each time. I'll report back once I get it...in like a month.
I've got one of these extension cables incoming too... earlier there was a link to a nifty 3D printed LCD case, perhaps someone with the skills could make a similar piece to allow the card reader to be mounted in the coin counter section of the casing?

User avatar
jassin000
Posts: 17
Joined: December 9th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
eBay: jaso-1zhh96
Initials: jsb

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by jassin000 » June 3rd, 2015, 1:01 pm

I've noticed a few companies make wireless micro sd cards, they seem built for digital cameras... Transfer your pictures after taking them without removing the card or plugging in the cam, etc.

Would something like this be useful for the multicart? It would be really something if we could say FTP new ROMs over wireless without having to open the case period.

User avatar
hnns
Please Continue...
Posts: 36
Joined: January 14th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Location: Bremen, Germany
Initials: HNS

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by hnns » June 3rd, 2015, 1:45 pm

jassin000 wrote:I've noticed a few companies make wireless micro sd cards, they seem built for digital cameras... Transfer your pictures after taking them without removing the card or plugging in the cam, etc.

Would something like this be useful for the multicart? It would be really something if we could say FTP new ROMs over wireless without having to open the case period.
Not bad, but for me this approach is a little overdone. I have the 6-7 games on the SD card that I want to play and I don't think that I have to access the card any time soon again.

User avatar
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm
Location: Sweden
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by monouchi » June 3rd, 2015, 1:47 pm

gojira54 wrote:
aoiddr wrote:Per a post in the old thread, I went ahead and ordered one of these micro SD card extension cables off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261894745478?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT) so that the card can be easily removed without having to open up the case each time. I'll report back once I get it...in like a month.
I've got one of these extension cables incoming too... earlier there was a link to a nifty 3D printed LCD case, perhaps someone with the skills could make a similar piece to allow the card reader to be mounted in the coin counter section of the casing?
Ive ordered the extension with plastic shell and this was my idea too. Will see how it goes.

Londoncalling
Posts: 53
Joined: December 18th, 2013, 12:17 am
Location:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by Londoncalling » June 3rd, 2015, 4:12 pm

Here's the link for the LCD enclosure. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:857175
Image

User avatar
ReplicaX
Posts: 136
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 6:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by ReplicaX » June 3rd, 2015, 6:03 pm

Got my kit in today and the box was beat up a little, but nothing was bent or damaged. I get an instant Load Fail hitting enter, game list comes up fine. I assume this multi does not like my 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 SDHC. Sadly, I don't have another microsd to test with. Everything is installed and configured correctly. Card is Fat32 with its games folder and the list and all games come up fine. Just an instant fail going to flash. Has anyone else used a higher GB class 10 card without issues?

Looking at the old thread, seems Jassin had no issues with a similar class 10 sandisk. I'll look everything over again after work. Finding it odd that it gets power, status, and the game list on the display.
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | JNX SuperGun | NEC XM29
First Cab: Centipede (1987)
Arcade Tech: 1994 - 2000

User avatar
jassin000
Posts: 17
Joined: December 9th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
eBay: jaso-1zhh96
Initials: jsb

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by jassin000 » June 3rd, 2015, 8:39 pm

I was using this for a while...

Sandisk 16GB Ultra Class-10
Image

But I went back to my 8GB Class-4 (currently installed inside the shell or I'd snap a pic) because the Ultra Class wasn't any faster on the device, also 16GB was overkill ROMs wise. ;)

User avatar
ReplicaX
Posts: 136
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 6:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by ReplicaX » June 3rd, 2015, 8:46 pm

jassin000 wrote:I was using this for a while...

But I went back to my 8GB Class-4 (currently installed inside the shell or I'd snap a pic) because the Ultra Class wasn't any faster on the device, also 16GB was overkill ROMs wise. ;)
Same one I have, so I will recheck everything. Overkill, but it was cheap on Amazon :awe:

Thx
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | JNX SuperGun | NEC XM29
First Cab: Centipede (1987)
Arcade Tech: 1994 - 2000

Londoncalling
Posts: 53
Joined: December 18th, 2013, 12:17 am
Location:

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by Londoncalling » June 3rd, 2015, 9:02 pm

Try reseating the boards again. And make sure all connections are firmly pressed together.

User avatar
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
Posts: 6316
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No F'ing Drama)

Post by emphatic » June 3rd, 2015, 9:41 pm

If someone has made name-files for their rom folders, feel free to share to save time for the ones here who hasn't made them yet. :awe:

Post Reply