Many thanks :D
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Re: Official MAMEtopia PCB support/upgrades

Post by skykid » February 19th, 2012, 10:57 pm

**** n' balls.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I've pulled my Mametopia out of retirement and as far as I can tell everything is plugged in as it should be as far as the ATX PSU is concerned, but when I hit the power button the fans spin on and the yellow HDD light comes on - but the green Power light is blank and I'm getting nothing on the display.

I'm hoping I've just overlooked something obvious, since it's been a while since I've used it, but it worked find before and I've never had a prob like this.

Could it be to do with my cab voltage possibly?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.

kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Post by kernow » February 19th, 2012, 11:09 pm

nah, it's powered by the ATX PSU and not your cab PSU isn't it.

Make sure the ram is seated properly and all connections, reseat graphics card possibly and clear the bios / maybe bios battery dead.

Probably something simple. Doesn't look like the motherboard is POSTing (power on self test).
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid » February 19th, 2012, 11:17 pm

kernow wrote:nah, it's powered by the ATX PSU and not your cab PSU isn't it.

Make sure the ram is seated properly and all connections, reseat graphics card possibly and clear the bios / maybe bios battery dead.

Probably something simple. Doesn't look like the motherboard is POSTing (power on self test).
Ok, cheers mate. I'll go over it again and make sure everything is seated properly. I don't think I've got a spare lithium on hand (assuming that's the bios battery?) but I can pick one up.

How do I manually clear the bios from the board, is there a switch somewhere?

Many thanks!

purplec

Post by purplec » February 19th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Have you got the black and yellow cable connected on the motherboard for the CPU fan, re seat the ram also.

I have to say Joel made a great piece of kit mine still plays great.

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid » February 19th, 2012, 11:37 pm

purplec wrote:Have you got the black and yellow cable connected on the motherboard for the CPU fan, re seat the ram also.

I have to say Joel made a great piece of kit mine still plays great.
Yep, that's all plugged in. There ribbon cable is in the HDD and up to the blue socket on the top layer, and the ATX power lead is plugged into the long block connector in front of it. There's also a power lead from the ATX into the HDD (P4 I think.)

I removed the lithium and get no power at all, put it back in and all the fans spin on, so that doesn't seem flat.

Once I power on using the assigned button, it won't power off again unless I switch it off by the wall, which is worrying me as it's not a safe way to keep shutting down the HDD. :?

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid » February 20th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I can't get any change out of this guys. Reckon it needs servicing? :?

purplec

Post by purplec » February 20th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Reflash the hd, I take it you made a backup like all good little (techys )

purplec

Post by purplec » February 20th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Send it to kernow isn't he a techno it junkie?

kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Post by kernow » February 20th, 2012, 11:17 pm

:o

I could give it a go but it'd just be making sure stuff is plugged in right etc.
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe » February 20th, 2012, 11:47 pm

I don't have a mametopia anymore. The green light not coming on makes me think there might be a problem somewhere between the row of motherboard jumper pins and the little extra button pcb thingy that connects to them with a ribbon cable. Make sure there's a good connection there.

I think to rule everything out, I would take it out if the arcade machine, disconnect the little button thingy from the motherboard, plug in a keyboard, connect the motherboard's VGA out directly to a monitor and see if I got anywhere then.

If you do this, to power on, you will need to make a temporary connection to the power jumper on the motherboard. If you have an internal cd drive anywhere (cps3 kit?) you could borrow a jumper cap from the back of it, otherwise a flat screwdriver pressed between the correct pins for a few seconds will do it. It is located in the row of pins that the ribbon cable was plugged in to - the two pins that you want should hopefully be labeled, but if not you will have to google for a diagram of the motherboard model.

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid » February 21st, 2012, 4:04 am

purplec wrote:Reflash the hd, I take it you made a backup like all good little (techys )
I'm not a good little techie! :palm:
pubjoe wrote:I don't have a mametopia anymore. The green light not coming on makes me think there might be a problem somewhere between the row of motherboard jumper pins and the little extra button pcb thingy that connects to them with a ribbon cable. Make sure there's a good connection there.

I think to rule everything out, I would take it out if the arcade machine, disconnect the little button thingy from the motherboard, plug in a keyboard, connect the motherboard's VGA out directly to a monitor and see if I got anywhere then.

If you do this, to power on, you will need to make a temporary connection to the power jumper on the motherboard. If you have an internal cd drive anywhere (cps3 kit?) you could borrow a jumper cap from the back of it, otherwise a flat screwdriver pressed between the correct pins for a few seconds will do it. It is located in the row of pins that the ribbon cable was plugged in to - the two pins that you want should hopefully be labeled, but if not you will have to google for a diagram of the motherboard model.
Cheers mate. 4am now, I'll run through this tomorrow and see if it helps.

Maybe I can get a line to Joel... Anyone got his current email address or contact details? :think:

AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor » February 21st, 2012, 4:24 am

skykid wrote:
Maybe I can get a line to Joel... Anyone got his current email address or contact details? :think:
You might find some useful tips here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair"

Good Luck d00d,

Ralph.

skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid » February 21st, 2012, 5:12 pm

pubjoe wrote:I don't have a mametopia anymore. The green light not coming on makes me think there might be a problem somewhere between the row of motherboard jumper pins and the little extra button pcb thingy that connects to them with a ribbon cable. Make sure there's a good connection there.
Yeah, that's all plugged in fine. I might try to get it hooked up to a monitor a bit later and see what happens.
alienmame wrote:
skykid wrote:
You might find some useful tips here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair"
Ah, that's where he's hiding. Cheers mate!

ElPancho

Post by ElPancho » March 6th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Running into the same problem today. So I was wondering .... any progress on yours? :awe:
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table

wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta » August 15th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Well, I had the same issue as skykid and ElPancho! After having not touched the board for almost a year, I connected it up to find it was completely dead. :( No Green Power LED, just a continuous Orange HD LED, regardless of what I tried.

After a quick couple of PMs (thus saving me a few hours poking about and scratching my head), they advised me that it was definitely the motherboard, rather than the MAMEtopia board (thank you very much chaps! :D )

I had a quick search of the net to try and find something as similar as possible (without actually getting the same board as it'd probably die again) and decided to try this MS-7309. Seems like it has an almost identical chipset, so no messing about with driver updates, I just plugged it in and I'm happy to say it's all back up and running again! :awe:
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。

purplec

Post by purplec » June 18th, 2014, 8:36 pm

wigsplitta wrote:Well, I had the same issue as skykid and ElPancho! After having not touched the board for almost a year, I connected it up to find it was completely dead. :( No Green Power LED, just a continuous Orange HD LED, regardless of what I tried.

After a quick couple of PMs (thus saving me a few hours poking about and scratching my head), they advised me that it was definitely the motherboard, rather than the MAMEtopia board (thank you very much chaps! :D )

I had a quick search of the net to try and find something as similar as possible (without actually getting the same board as it'd probably die again) and decided to try this MS-7309. Seems like it has an almost identical chipset, so no messing about with driver updates, I just plugged it in and I'm happy to say it's all back up and running again! :awe:
This also worked for me thanks.

Has any tried to upgrade to a quad core setup

Mendel
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel » November 1st, 2014, 3:01 pm

What are the hardware specs of a standard mametopia board?

what cpu? how much ram?

is it an intergrated graphics card in it?

What cpus can be installed on it?
Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club

Mendel
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel » November 11th, 2014, 12:58 am

okay, so I have received a mametopia pcb. yay me for being what 6 years late on this party.

My findings so far:

coin chute does nothing
service button does nothing
extra pcb buttons 1-4 do nothing.
extra pcb power button works
extra pcb button 5 adds credit in some games
Some games do *not* add a credit when I press that button though.
kick harness buttons 1-2 are not binded
p1 kick harness button 3 increases volume
p2 kick harness button 3 enters into mala menu where I can set filters and such
kick buttons dont work in fighter games

furthermore, upon inserting a keyboard to the ps/2 plug of the motherboard, I have found that:

tabulator does nothing
tilde does nothing
number 1 on keyboard does add credit to those games that cant otherwise be credited
I can change frame skipping and such with keyboard
it is not possible to enter mame config menu, possibly due to that config menu button is not binded to any button that I have. I went through every keyboard button and obviously all buttons on my cab.
I can not rebind any keys/buttons/anything

Bubble Bobble plays just fine
:awe: :awe: :awe: :awe: :awe: :awe:

edit: AH-HA! I got into config menu and I can now bind all the buttons on the cab and the extra controls pcb.
All I had to do was to exit mala and find default.cfg and edit it. :awe:
Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club

ckong

Post by ckong » December 3rd, 2014, 11:40 am

purplec wrote: Has any tried to upgrade to a quad core setup
I did, sort of. Not an upgrade, but I built a complete new 'PC' on top of the mametopia board. Reason is that the original mobo was crap and died on me. And I wanted to use Groovymame anyway in combination with the mametopia pcb (so I wouldn't have to additional buy a JPAC or something like that). My present setup is an Asrock 880GM-LE FX, with Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600, AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor and a Radeon HD .... cart (to enable CRT Emudriver). This all sits on top of the mametopia pcb. It runs with a XP lite version.