Chihiro Types

PCB problems and fixes
Jamtex

Chihiro Types

Post by Jamtex » December 3rd, 2012, 8:59 am

What is the difference between Chihiro Type 1 and Type 3 boards? Are there games that won't run or one or the other? Are the CF boards limited to Type 3 boards? Is it easy / cheapish to expand the board from 512Mb to 1GB?
A:>

outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Re: Chihiro Types

Post by outrun2 » December 3rd, 2012, 2:23 pm

Type 1 Chihiro uses the Naomi style dimm board that plugs in to the top of the unit. This version isn't compatible with as many games as Type 3 and I think there are two games that ONLY play on this version - Crazy Taxi High Roller and House of the Dead 3. I know for sure CTHR as I have this game.

Type 3 Chihiro has built in dimm and looks like a cube (they come with either 512MB or 1GB). It's the most common version and is able to run pretty much all games except the two noted above.

I'm pretty sure 512MB is the minimum for both boards and not sure it's worth upgrading to 1GB as very few games take advantage of the extra capacity.

One other thing I know is that while OutRun2 will run on both versions (Type 1 without link system), OutRun2 SP runs on Type 3 only.
Found:
Sega Model 3 Dirt Devils ROM board or complete boardset ;)

andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer » December 3rd, 2012, 2:43 pm

outrun2 wrote:Type 1 Chihiro uses the Naomi style dimm board that plugs in to the top of the unit. This version isn't compatible with as many games as Type 3 and I think there are two games that ONLY play on this version - Crazy Taxi High Roller and House of the Dead 3. I know for sure CTHR as I have this game.

Type 3 Chihiro has built in dimm and looks like a cube (they come with either 512MB or 1GB). It's the most common version and is able to run pretty much all games except the two noted above.

I'm pretty sure 512MB is the minimum for both boards and not sure it's worth upgrading to 1GB as very few games take advantage of the extra capacity.

One other thing I know is that while OutRun2 will run on both versions (Type 1 without link system), OutRun2 SP runs on Type 3 only.
High Roller and HOTD3 can be made to work on the Type 3 - but the reason many games do not work on the Type 1 is down to missing the network firmware required. 11.01 minimum.
Say hello to my little friend...

Jamtex

Post by Jamtex » December 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Good to know. Thank you.

I assume the CF games will only run on the Type 3 boards? I ask as someone has offered me an Outrun 2 upright and I would like to run Outrun 2 SP. Trying to find out what Chihiro boardset it has.
A:>