Shmup Scoring Systems.

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Shmup Scoring Systems.

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 2:18 pm

When it comes to shmups i always just kinda dodge bullets and shoot at things.. now ive been thinking.. my fav all time shmup has to be Ikaruga.. not because i feel i'm any good at it or anything.. but mainly because i understand how the game works in regards to colour changes and chains. I'm thinking i would like alot more shmups if i actually understood the correct way to play them. So i'm wondering if anyone could tell me the scoring system for the following games?

Armed Police Batrider
Dimahoo
Do Donpachi
Guwange
Mars Matrix
Progear
Raiden Fighter Jets

Thanks! :)
"Apologies to Mr Meg if this whole drama has people thinking you're some kind of SFIV prirate pimp." - Superpang

kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Re: Shmup Scoring Systems.

Post by kernow » October 1st, 2008, 2:28 pm

DoDonPachi:

Scoring system

DoDonPachi has a unique scoring system called the Get Point System (GPS). There is a gauge in the top left of the screen that increases every time an enemy is destroyed. If an enemy is destroyed while the gauge is not empty, a "chain" counter will increase. The chain counter is reset once the gauge empties, which happens quite rapidly, in approximately one second. For every chain, some points are added to the value of the chain, and the total value of the chain is added to the player's score. Damaging stronger enemies with the laser attack also increases the gauge, but at low rate. This will prevent the gauge from emptying for as long as the laser is damaging the enemy. To get the highest score possible, the player must destroy as many enemies as possible without leaving more than one second between two specific enemies. This is best done by making sure the enemies are killed at a pace allowing the next enemies to appear before the current ones are totally destroyed. Killing the enemies as fast as possible, whilst being a good strategy for survival, is not the best strategy for scoring.

There are also bonus items in the form of golden bees. They often start as invisible pickups as specific points in the level and are not necessarily stationary. They can also appear from destroying certain enemies or parts of bosses. Their outline can be seen by firing over their position with the shot weapon. They cannot be picked up until they are hit by the front area of the laser weapon. When the laser is activated, it takes a moment to reach the top of the screen from the ship. This semi-extended laser has a front end which can make the invisible bees turn golden, after which they can be picked up by running the player's ship over their position. There are thirteen on each level with values ranging from 100 to 1,000,000 points, depending on how many previously been collected in the level and in how many previous levels all bees have been collected. The score for each bee is reset if you lose a life.

The scoring system on the bosses is different from the regular game. As the boss is damaged, a "hit" counter increases. It gradually descreases if the boss is not being damaged fast enough, so generally only the laser is powerful enough to keep the hit counter increasing. At the end of the level, there is a bonus for the value of the hit counter along with a bonus for amount of star pickups and a bonus for consecutively not dying on each level.

(from wikipedia) I did start typing it out, but its there already so.
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 2:37 pm

Wow.. quite a lot to it then!
"Apologies to Mr Meg if this whole drama has people thinking you're some kind of SFIV prirate pimp." - Superpang

kernow

Post by kernow » October 1st, 2008, 2:41 pm

Its not too bad, I ignore the bees pretty much and just go for trying to get some chains going as I feel that gets your score up far more. If you use type C-S (c ship, shot type) and put auto fire on you can reap in score as it has a wide shot and chains are very easy to do.

I think Dai ou Jou has a better bee system than Donpachi and DoDonpachi because when you get one it just multiplies 1000x(your current chain), so if you have a 260 chain and get a single bee, thats 260,000, no farting around with trying to collect all or some of the bees in sequence just to get a few thousand points, if you got two bees in a row on that, thats 520k right there.

DoDonPachi is just such a good game though I can forgive it on that.

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 » October 1st, 2008, 2:45 pm

Retro_Boy_G wrote:When it comes to shmups i always just kinda dodge bullets and shoot at things.. now ive been thinking.. my fav all time shmup has to be Ikaruga.. not because i feel i'm any good at it or anything.. but mainly because i understand how the game works in regards to colour changes and chains. I'm thinking i would like alot more shmups if i actually understood the correct way to play them. So i'm wondering if anyone could tell me the scoring system for the following games?

Armed Police Batrider
Dimahoo
Do Donpachi
Guwange
Mars Matrix
Progear
Raiden Fighter Jets

Thanks! :)
Get over to shmups and read the strat guides you lazy dog.

kernow

Post by kernow » October 1st, 2008, 2:55 pm

I was going to suggest that too, and its probably best for the other games. Playing the games a lot usually helps too. You just get more used to it as you play. Some of the guides on shmups are a bit in depth but at least theres a lot of info there for sure.

markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 » October 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm

Right I’ll help you out a little for APB.

Shoot stuff, collect medals. Each one you collect doubles in value from 100-10,000.

By the time you hit 10k a medal you need to start bombing the scenery to reveal yet more medals.

If you drop (miss) a medal, then the next is re-set to 100.

APB has a really simple scoring system for normal play . If you are looking for world records, then it starts to get complicated.

Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 3:07 pm

Was playing DDP there and i'm really liking it.. had it on the Saturn but only played it as a "shoot to kill" style game.. didn't take into account the combos.. I'm guessing the best thing to do is try hold off to keep as many enimes on screen as you can so you can rack up the combos?. At the start i noticed there are a bunch of ships that you can kill straight away but then there is a dry spell for about a second (too long for the combo to continue) and then more ships come along.. so if i hold off on the first ships a bit then i can time it so once ive hit the last ship the second bunch of ships are just coming on screen... if that makes sense? Might need to tate the cab in the shop.. shmups for some reason do the best for me.. but id need to keep the board inside for the whole year to pay it off.. haha. I'm not going to shmups.. i'm on about 3 forums too many now.. its hard to keep track.

kernow

Post by kernow » October 1st, 2008, 3:17 pm

yep, you got it 100% right with the chaining idea there. you've got to keep the green bar on the left up as much as possible, if it runs out, your chain does too. so you have to kill the stuff at the start slowly so something else comes on the screen in order to keep your chain up.

Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 3:26 pm

I think i'll stick with this game then for now.. how much are we talking for the pcb?

markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 » October 1st, 2008, 3:29 pm

Oh you are **** now that you’ve figured out how to chain! Just wait till you start to enjoy medaling!

If you tate the Astro I’ve told you a million times that I’ll loan you a pcb. DDP is the game that got me into shmups, it’s easy-ish too so would be a good choice (mine is English also, so no confussing the kiddies)

Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi » October 1st, 2008, 3:30 pm

Progear no Arashi summary:

* Don't get shot (you lose a chunk of your gem counter - this becomes a points multiplier for every 1,000 gem points you collect).

* Don't use bombs (you get big points bonuses when you collect extra bombs if you are at full stock - points bonuses that apply for every bullet you shoot that hits an enemy :o).

* Continually alternate between: a) Kill enemies with fighter mode (tapping the A button pr pressing C) when lots of bullets are passing over them (this powers your gem up to diamond if you are lucky) and b) have millions of bullets on screen and then kill enemies using gunner mode (holding A) to turn all the bullets that get touched by a diamond (or other gem) into diamonds (or other gems if you suck). When you are a bit more 1337, learn when the really nice parts are for using the gunner mode and raping for score.

* Find bizarre bits (like in stage 1, just before the boss) where you can have live enemies shooting millions of bullets and just kill a single popcorn enemy to get a continuous trail of diamonds.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 3:41 pm

markedkiller78 wrote:Oh you are **** now that you’ve figured out how to chain! Just wait till you start to enjoy medaling!

If you tate the Astro I’ve told you a million times that I’ll loan you a pcb. DDP is the game that got me into shmups, it’s easy-ish too so would be a good choice (mine is English also, so no confussing the kiddies)
Well you can come to the shop one day and help me tate it.. and then help me with the AWSD monitor.. :(

Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G » October 1st, 2008, 3:42 pm

Chi wrote:Progear no Arashi summary:

* Don't get shot (you lose a chunk of your gem counter - this becomes a points multiplier for every 1,000 gem points you collect).

* Don't use bombs (you get big points bonuses when you collect extra bombs if you are at full stock - points bonuses that apply for every bullet you shoot that hits an enemy :o).

* Continually alternate between: a) Kill enemies with fighter mode (tapping the A button pr pressing C) when lots of bullets are passing over them (this powers your gem up to diamond if you are lucky) and b) have millions of bullets on screen and then kill enemies using gunner mode (holding A) to turn all the bullets that get touched by a diamond (or other gem) into diamonds (or other gems if you suck). When you are a bit more 1337, learn when the really nice parts are for using the gunner mode and raping for score.

* Find bizarre bits (like in stage 1, just before the boss) where you can have live enemies shooting millions of bullets and just kill a single popcorn enemy to get a continuous trail of diamonds.

Thanks dude! :)

charlie chong

Post by charlie chong » October 2nd, 2008, 4:34 pm

also in dodonpachi you want to not bomb due to teh maximum bomb bonus.. if you have full bombs and collect an extra one you will see the bombguage says maximum and that your score is going up automatically without shooting .each extra bomb you collect makes the score go up faster.. this and chaining are probbly my main technique.. i can no bomb up to level 5 but after that i have to use bombs cos it gets a bit tricky to survive by then :awe:

markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 » October 2nd, 2008, 4:35 pm

charlie chong wrote:i can no bomb up to level 5 but after that i have to use bombs cos it gets a bit tricky to survive by then :awe:
Pussy

Cat in your avatar looks nice

Bigsasquatch

Post by Bigsasquatch » October 2nd, 2008, 6:00 pm

From that list I'd go vert and pick up Batrider / DDP.....

Both reasonable-ish in price , you can try before you buy on MAME and great examples of Medaling vs Chaining .......

I 'm getting better at medalling but trying to chain well in DOJ / DDP drives me batty ! :shock:

BIG S

And as already mentioned you can't go wrong with shmups.com... even have a nicely sorted database link so you can go straight to the strategy guide that you need..... 8-)

Don't even consider the scoring system in Dimahoo :roll: