Why have some Naomi games been released as cart and GD?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
The Enigmatic Form

Why have some Naomi games been released as cart and GD?

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

Virtua Tennis comes to mind. Was it because many operators weren´t interested in buying the GD-drive, or the opposite, i.e. a shortage of drives to supply the demand? Or was it different between the regions? I remember VF4 or VF4FT being released as GD in Japan and as cart in Europe and the USA, or something.
DandySephy
Initials: SEP

Re: Why have some Naomi games been released as cart and GD?

Post by DandySephy »

Perhaps it was an option of cost. GD games cheaper, but require the extra hardware. Carts more expensive, but for conversion of systems supplied without GD. Virtua Tennis predates GD, so perhaps it was simply offered for a lower price
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

Im sure Andy will confirm this but it's down to reliability and shipping out, GD Rom's weigh far less (but I know GD rom kit boxes are quite large), plus CD's are cost effective all those kinda things.
mainman

Post by mainman »

Plain and simple, its less expensive to press even a proprietary gd rom then it is to manufacturer a solid state cart for sega. They didn't give a @#$ about passing the cost along to the operator with requiring additional hardware to run. Hell sega even pocketed the differences in production cost as profit.

The situation was flipped when the DC died as it became more expensive to manufacture the gd rom since it was only being used in a arcade system with the added penalty of the gd rom drives where also becoming expensive to produce since the dc which used the same assembly was well dead. So sega with back to cart format and the gd system is no longer supported.