First love

Coin-operated games and arcades.
MrBob
eBay: Trollshaw

First love

Post by MrBob »

My recent desire for a cab got me thinking about my first love.

I played many games prior to it but Track and Field was the game. It would have been early to mid 80's on a family getaway at somewhere like the Isle of Sheppey.

I would go daily to the cab and attempt to break the records. I had a mystery adversary which heightened the experience. I never ever met them but I would go along and break a few records, then come back later to find they had been broken by my nemesis which pushed me to do the same to them. This went on and on through the week I was there. It would come down to the odd milimetre or milisecond.

Never forget that.

Who else here remembers their first love?
SuperPang
Master or Universe

Re: First love

Post by SuperPang »

My fondest arcade memories were trips to Seaton Carew with my cousins in Sega's glory days (mid 90's). This lead to a life-long leaning towards arcade style games, the unfashionable choice of a Saturn over a Playstation, an unhealthy Neo Geo addiction, an Arcade Heaven supergun and you know the rest...

Another arcade experience that sticks out in my mind was me and a mate discovering a Mille Miglia on free play on a ferry on a school trip to france and playing it all the way there and back and feeling very ill as a consequence. When I got my first Supergun this was one of the first games I had to find the name of and track down.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Ports to the Sega Master System. There were certainly no arcades near me and I'd happily spend hours playing Rampage, Fantasy Zone, OutRun, R-Type at home on the SMS instead. I say instead, but it didn't really occur to me at the time that they were ports...
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

cools wrote:Ports to the Sega Master System. There were certainly no arcades near me and I'd happily spend hours playing Rampage, Fantasy Zone, OutRun, R-Type at home on the SMS instead. I say instead, but it didn't really occur to me at the time that they were ports...
R-Type was a great port on the SMS if memory serves.
SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang »

I must've put an insane number of hours into Outrun and Fantasy Zone on MS. Now you mention it, it was the arcade stuff even then.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I loved Xenon 2 on MS as well. Hardly the best introduction to my favourite genre.
gargoyle67
Gateau superstar
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Fantasy zone was great also, I loved alex kid on it too and wonder boy in monsterland.
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

gargoyle67 wrote:Fantasy zone was great also, I loved alex kid on it too and wonder boy in monsterland.
Half my childhood was taken up trying to complete Alex Kidd In Miracle World. I did :)

WBML was sheer brilliance, and I maintain it's better than the arcade. I learnt every single secret and the most efficient way of getting powered up - I could play a perfect game :)
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

SuperPang wrote:I must've put an insane number of hours into Outrun and Fantasy Zone on MS. Now you mention it, it was the arcade stuff even then.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I loved Xenon 2 on MS as well. Hardly the best introduction to my favourite genre.
Never played the MS version of X2 but the Amiga version was certinaly visually and sonically stunning (if lacking in gamepley).
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

MrBob wrote:Who else here remembers their first love?
I do. A Ghosts 'n Goblins cabinet, many moons ago. They forgot it on free play. I miss those times. I'm a melancholic guy.
Vagina
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Moon Cresta - played it in a dodgy hotel arcade in Majorca the first time i ever went abroad. We lived in the Cotswolds so there were no arcades near us and this was the first time I had ever seen one. Other great games from the arcade were Juno First and AstroBlaster. Even now they are the games i play most of when i load mame up...
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

John James Pacinelli wrote:
MrBob wrote:Who else here remembers their first love?
I do. A Ghosts 'n Goblins cabinet, many moons ago. They forgot it on free play. I miss those times. I'm a melancholic guy.
Dammit. I was going to do a "You are Todd from neighbours and I claim my five pounds" till you said it was on freeplay.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Sigh... Wonderboy. I loved the SMS, I remember getting Wonderboy and Wonderboy 3: the dragon's curse. Wonderboy was pretty much arcade perfect, but wonderboy 3... At first I was gutted that it wasnt anything like the arcade, but after playing it... That game was (and is) the best thing ever!!! I think it was an answer to the NES's zelda2, but it was so much cooler ...The graphics, the music, the chacters and bosses ...it was pure silk. I used to take the instruction manual to school with me everyday in my pocket, so I could secretly goggle at the character art. LOL, I remember doing that with the spectrum cassette cover for space harrier too - they didn't half get tatty - but they were so precious! The space harrier cover art on the spectrum and everything else was a masterpiece, but on the SMS? Bleh!

Remember how lame Master System cover art was? One particularly bad one was that soccer game that just had a dodgy half leg poking out from the side, kicking a football.

Were all the wonderboy's clones of adventure island on the pc-engine or was it the other way round? My boy's been playing the PCE's "the dragon's trap" on wii-ware which is identical to wb3 except that the main character sprites are slightly different. I've got to say, I prefer the wonderboy3 version, especially the dragon form - much more stylish.

---

Ah! Just remebered the topic title... Well if we're talking about arcade only, then space harrier, the full hydraulic cockpit version. Man, I was so cool sitting at that game and getting all the way through it - crowds of onlookers all wishing they were me. :awe:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Easy, Street Fighter 2.

There were many games before it that I remember well, Ikari Warriors, Tron, Frogger, Pac Man, Defender…..but I was a bit young & pretty crap at them.

Yi ar Kung Fu was the first 2D fighter I played, but Street Fighter 2 was my love :) I remember waiting in line for ages to play it & every time I got on to play I got my **** handed to me :( E.Honda was my first character I ever won a vs match with & 2d fighters were the genre that got me into this insanely expensive & space consuming hobby.

I’ve now moved onto shmups as they are a much more rewarding 1p experience, but arcades in the hey day with ques of people lining up for an **** whipping were something else. Ken was my first 1cc on SF2 & the SFC version cost me £80 back in the day, but it was worth every penny & more.
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

pubjoe wrote:Remember how lame Master System cover art was? One particularly bad one was that soccer game that just had a dodgy half leg poking out from the side, kicking a football.
The Japanese box art was a million times better (as is generally the case). The western boxes were truly awful.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

MrBob wrote:
pubjoe wrote:Remember how lame Master System cover art was? One particularly bad one was that soccer game that just had a dodgy half leg poking out from the side, kicking a football.
The Japanese box art was a million times better (as is generally the case). The western boxes were truly awful.
I think the western cover art was drawn by a slightly retarded jim'll fix it winner.

markedkiller78 wrote:Easy, Street Fighter 2..
Actually, Street Fighter 2 is what really got me into arcade collecting too. She gets about - that tart of a game - everyone's favourite!

...I kind of try to always think "...apart from street fighter 2" when these sort of "favourite..." questions come up. But lets face it, the hours of gaming I've put into SF2 games are probably more than everything else put together.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

It’s easy for me to say SF2 now as I’ve detoured away from SF for a long time & I’m just getting back into it.

I recently started playing SSF2X thanks to the GGPO revolution & have a new appreciation for the game that made me love video games never mind arcade gaming. If weren’t for SF2 I don’t think I would have ever played DoDonpachi for more than 5 mins & that would have been a real shame
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

SF2 was what pulled me in to buying a cab in the first place, years after we'd tired of it on the SNES.

Wonderboy in Monster Land wasn't an adventure island clone :)
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

My first arcade love was Flying Shark - I'd played arcade games before, but that was the one I really got into. I was crap at it though, since I was only about 10 at the time. The arcade game I played the most around that time period was Rush 'n' Crash (Capcom) - I coin fed 10ps into that every day of a week long holiday at a Butlins for hours!

My first videogame love came from playing on a friend's Amstrad CPC464 back in the day - even the "free" 12 games worked for me - there was a Galaga clone that I particularly liked (forgotten the name, CBA to look it up), and Harrier Attack was good fun.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

pubjoe wrote: ...I kind of try to always think "...apart from street fighter 2" when these sort of "favourite..." questions come up. But lets face it, the hours of gaming I've put into SF2 games are probably more than everything else put together.
Ditto
Vagina
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Chi wrote:CBA to look it up
Never heard that abbreviation before, but I love it.