The best MAKs / Superguns

Everything Supergun related
MahakGTR34
Please Continue...
eBay: dino-games
Initials: CMB

The best MAKs / Superguns

Post by MahakGTR34 »

Well, I couldn't really find a topic about this with a listing of popular MAKs / Superguns so I thought it might be nice to start a new thread.
And not only because once again I'm in the market for one, since my Egret has to go (not enough space after my next home removal) I need something more compact.

I made a super simple and cheapish MAK myself years ago which worked, but it was really ugly to look at. A few years later I had the Sigma Raijin which was amazing, great build quality, well you guys know what I'm talking about.

I'd like to hear what you guys use or have been using and what you think the pro's and contras are.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: The best MAKs / Superguns

Post by cools »

Moved into the supergun forum.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Just out of interest, what's MAK an acronym for? That's my arcade high score initials as MARK never fits and MAR just sounds plain daft :( :oops: In hindsight my initials would be just as quick to input and make more sense but it's a decision I made as a kid and automatic now so I can't go changing :(

*ahem* anyway...

Have you considered building another for yourself maybe?

Also, Paulie has a few threads here with really thorough overviews of different units, including loads of photos - they're all well worth a read :)
The Enigmatic Form

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

MAK stands for Mega Arcade Konsole, a term -as far as I know- made up by a German company. They built these in the very early 90s.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Ahh, I see, thanks 8-)

...Gawd, that's worse than 'Supergun'. Frivolous use of the K too :roll:
The Enigmatic Form

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

crunchywasp wrote:
...Gawd, that's worse than 'Supergun'. Frivolous use of the K too :roll:
That's German, sorry mate. :-?

I, on the other hand, still don't get the term "supergun".
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

That's German, sorry mate. :-?
Argh! :palm: Sorry... :oops:
I, on the other hand, still don't get the term "supergun".
Yeah, I'm not sure where that comes from either :eh: Pretty sure its origin's Japan though.

There was one in the UK called a Powerbase Convertor that I always wanted. I don't remember ever calling that a Supergun - I'd always associated that term with Saddam's secret weapon :think:

Sorry for going off topic :oops:
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

MahakGTR34 wrote:
I'd like to hear what you guys use or have been using and what you think the pro's and contras are.
I'm currently using (well not all at once)
Sigma AV6000 + Neo stick
Sigma AV7000 + Sigma 9000TB stick
Sigma Raijin
Special verson of the combo AV
Vega 9000DX
A friend has a Pana and I must say it's a lovely bit of kit

Pros
Japanese build quality, all are very solid and really quite heavy
Very good at what they do
Aesthetically pleasing
Sigma AV6000 has DB15 (neo geo) controller ports which is pretty handy
The Sigma's and Vega's use Seimitsu parts
The Vega uses and actual Sega Aero City control panel which is very cool

Cons
Price
Availability
Sigma Raijin, Special verson of the combo AV & Vega 9000DX do take up quite a bit of space when a PCB is attached
Sigma AV7000 has a specific controller cable connection

I've also had a few of the Vogatek ones.

Pros
Excellent value.
Readily available
Nice and small
Reliable (well I never had any issues with the ones I've had)

Cons
Not an all in one solution as you do need an arcade power supply (+ wiring) a scart lead, speakers and a controller.
Can look a bit messy unless you make some kind on enclosure

TBH I would recommend any of the above, all have their pros and cons but personally I've not had an issue with any of them.

If I had to pick just one then I would have to say my favourite is the Vega 9000DX
MahakGTR34
Please Continue...
eBay: dino-games
Initials: CMB

Post by MahakGTR34 »

The Enigmatic Form wrote:MAK stands for Mega Arcade Konsole, a term -as far as I know- made up by a German company. They built these in the very early 90s.
Correct, the company Wolfsoft came up with this term if memory serves right, they made a real nice enclosed and compact MAK.. which I think is a good name but back then their MAK and arcade games were out of my reach lol. A time without the convenience of internet shopping and co.

Paulie, can you link to your MAK/Supergun reviews/pics etc?

I'm familiar with all the Sigma stuff, it's really great and like said I loved the Raijin but it's more than I'd like to spend right now.
Tarma
eBay: king-o-cheese

Post by Tarma »

I've recently purchased a MAK Strike Supergun and I'm fairly pleased with it, my only criticism would be levelled at the design layout, which in my opinion isn't ideal... but perhaps is down to the way I have mine set up?

Anyway, it's very compact, not much bigger than a portable hdd, and well made. All the buttons are labelled so everything is self-explanatory. Controller support is through two neo-geo controller ports, although I use a PSX convertor so I can use PlayStation sticks, as I'm not a huge fan of the neo-geo sticks, and they're not particularly cheap to pick up these days either. There's a variable RGB dial that's pretty useful and a digital voltage display which is also useful.

You can plug a board straight into the Strike or, like me, run a JAMMA loom from the rear of the Strike to your board.

TV connection is through RGB scart, no fancy leads required here, just a bog standard scart-to-scart lead you could pick up from Curry's if you wanted. However, the RGB port is on the side of the Strike and with the loom running out of the rear, I feel that it makes set up rather awkward. Also, the lead puts stress on the port and I am fearful that damage may be caused if there was need to constantly connect & disconnect the lead.

There is no power supply provided with the Strike, so you'll need to pick up a decent arcade PSU and then wire this up for the Strike. Fortunately for myself, the guy who I bought my Strike from supplied it ready to plug-n-play.

Quality wise, I'm not sure how this compares to other Supergun's out there, but I feel it is very well made for the price and size, and will serve me well for the time being.

Overall, for what it costs, I'd really recommend one from my own experience, although I still pine for a Sigma AV7000 :awe: