Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by cools » October 18th, 2014, 7:32 am

Tried the orbit and grid layouts?

joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade » October 18th, 2014, 9:32 am

I'll be Sticking with my "cools magic" layout!! :awe:

Vid running in background, title at bottom with some info and logo centred nicely, simple uncluttered!!

If I want shizzle plasted everywhere I can always go back to my HS setup! :lol:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!

cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 11:52 am

So I have run vmmaker (but on my lcd).
the ini file has a path for mame ini to adjust games. It is set to mame\ini but this folder doesn't exist... Is this relevant?
I notice that when I run any games, they save a cfg file to mame\cfg

I ask because I have setup groovy with rotation setup (in fact all your settings cools) but when I run DDP it still runs horizontally (again on my lcd) not attempted the crt yet.

Another question: When I put the PC onto the JammaASD / CRT for the first time, will automatically set a lower screen res? Currently on the LCD the lowest mode is 800x600.

Cheers... getting there slowly.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 12:10 pm

1) The INI isn't relevant, you don't use it.
2) CFG files are saved by MAME, you want this to happen.
3) Sure? The only line you need to change in mame.ini is orientation to do this. If it's set to vertical DDP will work, and SF2 will be rotated. If it's set to horizontal SF2 will work, and DDP will be rotated.
4) No, it won't - Windows 7 prevents it. Check the GM forums. Suggest you ATOM-15 your card and immediately before switching force "base video" in MSCONFIG permanently, which will tell Windows to run 640x480.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 1:03 pm

cools wrote:1) The INI isn't relevant, you don't use it.
2) CFG files are saved by MAME, you want this to happen.
3) Sure? The only line you need to change in mame.ini is orientation to do this. If it's set to vertical DDP will work, and SF2 will be rotated. If it's set to horizontal SF2 will work, and DDP will be rotated.
4) No, it won't - Windows 7 prevents it. Check the GM forums. Suggest you ATOM-15 your card and immediately before switching force "base video" in MSCONFIG permanently, which will tell Windows to run 640x480.
Cheers cools. Does Base video still load the ati drivers or does it not matter?

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 1:23 pm

I think so, not sure though.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 1:35 pm

So by going to Display Preferences > Advanced > List all modes I can select 640x480 but it still works on my lcd?
Given it is a 31k signal, I am thinking that this will make no difference on a reboot if I change to crt?

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 1:41 pm

Windows 7 will IGNORE any settings you make before you switch monitors, it holds the settings against the detected monitor.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm

cools wrote:Windows 7 will IGNORE any settings you make before you switch monitors, it holds the settings against the detected monitor.
How have you managed to do it on your Pony?
As you have mentioned, it ignores the settings so every reboot yields the same result...
I have tried setting the mode on Arcade OSD and I get the same problem. Nothing sticks and the Pony doesn't sync.

:(

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 3:00 pm

The Pony is using XP, and was moved from a tri-sync cab to begin with.

This is why I've not updated the guide for Win 7, I'm only able to give secondhand advice.

Base video permanent should get you to 640x480, which with a J-PAC/JammASD set to split a 31k signal should get you a doubled/split image on the monitor - you may need to adjust the sync holds to stop it scrolling. From there you can run ArcadeOSD and set the desktop mode to a 15k one.

Actually - here's an idea. Get windows booting to desktop automatically. Add ArcadeOSD to Windows startup. Then when it's booted, hit enter twice, it should flip into a 15khz mode.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 3:12 pm

cools wrote:The Pony is using XP, and was moved from a tri-sync cab to begin with.

This is why I've not updated the guide for Win 7, I'm only able to give secondhand advice.

Base video permanent should get you to 640x480, which with a J-PAC/JammASD set to split a 31k signal should get you a doubled/split image on the monitor - you may need to adjust the sync holds to stop it scrolling. From there you can run ArcadeOSD and set the desktop mode to a 15k one.

Actually - here's an idea. Get windows booting to desktop automatically. Add ArcadeOSD to Windows startup. Then when it's booted, hit enter twice, it should flip into a 15khz mode.

Good idea :)
I will try it in a bit as I have spent all day tweaking and not working :)
I have an issue with Attract losing focus on startup as well, but that may be resolved by removing action center messages...

I will report back later. Cheers all the help.

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe » October 21st, 2014, 3:25 pm

The 31khz signal split is really handy. I was able to setup XP without an LCD at all.

However, often my Pony wouldn't display it until being turned off and on again while the PC is running. I had to do this to use the motherboard bios.

Perhaps this'll be of some help to you?

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 3:29 pm

cRacKh0rN wrote:I have an issue with Attract losing focus on startup as well, but that may be resolved by removing action center messages...
My Win 7 machine I have it running as the shell. On XP this method doesn't work, so it's running from startup there.

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 3:47 pm

pubjoe wrote:The 31khz signal split is really handy. I was able to setup XP without an LCD at all.

However, often my Pony wouldn't display it until being turned off and on again while the PC is running. I had to do this to use the motherboard bios.

Perhaps this'll be of some help to you?
Cheers joe. So you had the jumper on the ASD set to 31/15?

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 21st, 2014, 3:49 pm

cools wrote: My Win 7 machine I have it running as the shell. On XP this method doesn't work, so it's running from startup there.
I didn't even think of that. Do you have to do it in the registry under WinLogon? (it's been a while)... :)

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » October 21st, 2014, 3:51 pm

Yes, think that's it.

Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Post by Andypc » October 22nd, 2014, 11:24 pm

I have a slight issue with the my Groovymame setup on my MS9. Grrovymame is all setup and working fine, but I have some faint vertical line down the screen (Hori) about a third of the way in on the left. They look a little bit like ghosting. I have done everything to try and adjust them out, Gains/Cut off, Contrast, Brightness and have even adjusted the screen volts. I have seen this before with Mame on other monitors, but have always been able to adjust the screen so it is not visible. I am running the signal through a j-pac. Any Idea's?
“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 22nd, 2014, 11:32 pm

Andypc wrote:I have a slight issue with the my Groovymame setup on my MS9. Grrovymame is all setup and working fine, but I have some faint vertical line down the screen (Hori) about a third of the way in on the left. They look a little bit like ghosting. I have done everything to try and adjust them out, Gains/Cut off, Contrast, Brightness and have even adjusted the screen volts. I have seen this before with Mame on other monitors, but have always been able to adjust the screen so it is not visible. I am running the signal through a j-pac. Any Idea's?
Good quality VGA cables?
I would also try using a JammaASD instead of the Jpac. I found the picture was slightly better with the ASD when I had a Soft15khz setup in my old Astro.

Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Post by Andypc » October 23rd, 2014, 11:13 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it is the cables as I didn't have this issue with my old chassis. Am going to start a new thread on this.
“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab

cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN » October 24th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Hi folks.

Thanks for all your help. I finally have it working :)

In the end I did what joe suggested and ran it split 15/31 on the monitor. I ran Arcade OSD and pressed enter twice as cools suggested.

A few teething issues / questions that hopefully you can help with:

1. The screen mode for some of the classics (DK being one) is really squashed... Like no amount of monitor tweaking will fix it small. Can I fix this with Arcade OSD or is there something else I can do?

2. Some games (like Pacman) have some input lag. Ibara also has some input lag but strangely newer Cave titles like Pink Sweets and DFK run absolutely fine (some slowdown is wrong but that's nit picking)... Anything I can do here?

3. On the JammaASD the green LED in the middle of the device is flashing. Is something up here? The VGA and keyboard lights are fine.

Overall very happy.

Cheers,

Dave